Fitting a diesel heater or similar

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Fitting a diesel heater or similar

October 23rd, 2018, 2:27 pm

Hoped that group might be of interest, Chinese goods often a bit of a lottery so it will be interesting to see what you make of yours,

Out of interest who dips fuel tanks in Ireland & can I have their contact details too please :)

TheWalshyWay

October 23rd, 2018, 4:57 pm

The "Custom's" do road patrols and 'stops' , although I've never been stopped and checked.

B.

ps, "Custom" details or the "Heater" details ?

wonkywheel

October 23rd, 2018, 9:10 pm

Zildjian was right :roll: . I am seriously considering a Chinese diesel warm air heater. Which output have you chosen? I have seen 2Kw, 5Kw, and 8Kw.
On the heater forum threads, some people have complained 5Kw is too much for a small van but I can't see it myself as they are thermostatically controlled. Bigger is always better in my book. With a dedicated fuel tank you have the option to go RED I suppose, but I have read where people have tapped the truck fuel tank to save fiddling about filling the small tank inside the cabin.

Might I suggest you think carefully about where to put the heater? There seems to be a problem getting heatproof ducting at an economical price as I have seen some with 4 outlets.
My own plan is to site it near to the toilet/shower room to be able to use it as a drying room (Zildjian again :roll: )
I hope you supply plenty of instructions and photo's
Best of Luck with it,
Mark
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

TheWalshyWay

October 24th, 2018, 8:43 am

Hi Mark, I went for the "5kw" as a number of posts mentioned that the *8kw* was really a 5kw ( even on the packaging).
I had thought of tapping into the main tank but for now just installing it ( whenever it arrives) as standard should be fun enough, although problems I foresee are when needing heating while demounted, the fiddling with fuel lines etc, I will see how long the supplied tank lasts and then can always look at alternative's, re the insulation where the exhaust pipe exits, I read where lads have used exhaust pipe repair wraps/paste/cement. So I'll make it up as I go with a lot of help from that group I'm sure :geek:
I am installing it into my Ranger Demountable and am hoping will fit under the wardrobe area beside the shower room.

Thanks B.

Gordmac

October 27th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Been told by a dealer that the Chinese ones use more fuel and electricity. Boats use this type of diesel heater, information is available on boating forums.

TheWalshyWay

October 29th, 2018, 9:06 am

I reckon if it uses half a liter or even a liter of the cheaper "red" diesel during a day/night at say 1euro per liter that doesn't really count as a cost ! re the electricity, I have a good leisure battery and Solar panel, so power is next to costless aswell.
My concerns will be more about reliability ! and if it works well then the 500 euro savings will buy a new battery ( whenever needed) or lots and lots of fuel ;)

B.

wonkywheel

October 29th, 2018, 11:34 am

I am assuming that the diesel heaters use a small amount of electrical power when they are running to drive the fan. As was mentioned in an earlier post, diesel not being so volatile, the main current draw would be on startup with the heater/glowplug? Once running I would expect it to go off, in the same way, as my truck does.

I am only guessing though.

Mark
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

TheWalshyWay

November 30th, 2018, 3:56 pm

IMG_20181129_152103648-600x800.jpg

TheWalshyWay

November 30th, 2018, 3:57 pm

IMG_20181130_095439558_HDR-800x600.jpg

TheWalshyWay

November 30th, 2018, 4:05 pm

So finished installing a "Chinese Air Diesel Heater" "I'm using kerosene. On Start up it draws quite a bit to get the glow plug ready, but when running not a lot at all, the hose out the top of the tank is a siphon filling hose . So far so good , it's a 5kw and cost around 150£.
Great info from a FB group *Chinese Air Diesel Heater trouble shooting Group*

I'll update as I use it

B.