Upgrading to LED strip lights

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread

Upgrading to LED strip lights

Postby mjb666 » June 2nd, 2018, 8:28 pm

I have two 12V twin bulb Labcraft fluorescent lights

Imageupload a picture

and three 12V single Labcraft fluorescent lights

They all work fine & each tube is rated 8w & i think they are T5 12".

These ,i believe, are the LED direct replacement bulb rated at 5w.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGELITE-Led ... Sw1m5a-vaN

I have no idea how to work out how much leisure battery life i would gain by changing or if these are the best way to go when my next bulb 'blows'.

Can anyone suggest any other bulb or what they have done to save battery usage with LED lighting?
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable
mjb666

Re: Upgrading to LED strip lights

Postby zildjian » June 2nd, 2018, 9:01 pm

OK Mike well those Fluorescent's have to go definitely, you can either replace them as you say with LED 'striplight' or fit yourself some shiny new snazzy light fittings with super efficient bulbs

latter plan will almost certainly involve some redecoration as newer fittings will be smaller and leave weird pattern on panel behind
zildjian
Site Admin

Postby mjb666 » June 2nd, 2018, 9:35 pm

Thanks Richard

As my De-mountable has a roof lining that appears to be made of office carpet tile type material, you won't see the old screw holes so no problem there.

Having had a quick search i reckon i can replace the five units for something more modern at about £25.00 each. As the current one's all work ok, it was more about trying to find the best use of power for when i switch to solar. Obviously, as they aren't on all the time, any payback would take ages so, is it really worth the effort to switch?

Mike
Unknown Demountable
mjb666

Postby E Cawood » June 3rd, 2018, 6:48 pm

after changing most of the bulbs on our motorhome a couple of years back now the first thing we both noticed was how much cooler the interior was.
old fashioned lighting generates a huge amount of heat (so wasted energy) which is the next immediate effect we saw,
the voltage meter hardly dropped as we turned more lights on, where before the needle dropped like a stone the more lights used
E Cawood

Postby mjb666 » June 3rd, 2018, 7:21 pm

Thanks E Cawood

Did you keep the original fittings and just change the bulbs to a LED alternative or change the complete light unit & bulb?

Do you have a link to which you chose?

Mike
Unknown Demountable
mjb666

Postby E Cawood » June 3rd, 2018, 9:22 pm

from memory the wall mounted fittings just accepted new LED replacement bulbs but a ceiling light in bathroom simply wasn't deep enough (some new LED lamps are slightly oversize and won't physically fit)
you have to be careful of that and possibly take a lamp housing with you and try a new LED bulb in it to make sure it will go

because they are more frugal the wiring won't need swapping but if it was me I would want to lose those fluorescent fittings.

Sorry don't know what i bought now and frankly they would probably be out of production by now and something nicer on offer anyway (and cheaper)
E Cawood

Postby FinAde » June 3rd, 2018, 9:26 pm

We replaced the fluorescent lights in our Apollo. It made a huge difference in light output and hardly any drop in voltage. We went with LED’s strip lamp with two stage light output.
Tischer 230
VW Amarok
FinAde

Return to Chitter chatter happens here