New Member - Petrol Pickups?

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Irvine101

New Member - Petrol Pickups?

January 7th, 2018, 2:46 pm

I may soon be in the market for a pickup and demountable.

However I am put off by all the recent issues over diesel engine vehicles and the future impact on vehicle second hand values & tax changes etc. I am therefore wondering what members thoughts are regarding petrol engine pickups. I am not aware of any manufacturers making them at the moment but due to the current hoo haa wonder is it likely that manufacturers could soon launch suitable demountable pickups with petrol engines?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: New Member - Petrol Pickups?

January 7th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Diesel do seem to be out of favour on Pollutants but then Petrol are worse for Carbon monoxide, can probably anticipate another public swing in the future,

meanwhile your question;
A petrol pickup will of course do the job, purists would say a pickup should always be Diesel but Americans (with their fuel prices) have been running mostly Gas seemingly forever now, if you've been browsing a new pickup what sort of MPG are they quoting out of interest,
I don't think I've ever got much above mid 20's from a diesel but then I'm not world's smoothest driver

martinjdover

January 7th, 2018, 7:34 pm

The new land Rover Defender will be produced in diesel, petrol and petrol/electric hybrid forms. So LR are certainly covering all options! Hopefully they will be producing a model suitable for demountables - but I fear the costs will make it very up-market.

M

sabconsulting

January 13th, 2018, 8:24 pm

I am wondering what to do when I replace my current pickup truck. Its replacement will only be due to regulations requiring diesel vehicles to be Euro-6 in various places. I think that is coming in in London next year in their ULEZ (ultra low emission zone), but expect that to spread to other cities and regions in UK and Europe. Note however that low emission zones don't just apply to diesel vehicles. the ULEZ in London will require diesel vehicles to be Euro 6, but also Petrol vehicles to be Euro 4, So I cannot take my 4.0 Petrol Jeep TJ into London if I wanted after that date. That is something to consider if you are tempted by an imported US petrol pickup truck - it won't be compliant.

Hence if buying a vehicle now, look very carefully at its Euro compliance number. Plus be careful about assuming if it is 2016 it is Euro-6. A friend just got caught by that. He bought a 2016 Ranger and found it was actually Euro-5 (which is no better than a 2007 vehicle as far as low emission zones are concerned). If it was made in 2016 it would have been Euro-6, but it looks like it was made in 2015 but not registered until 2016 and therefore got a 16 plate making you think it was Euro-6 compliant :o .

Steve.

wonkywheel

January 15th, 2018, 6:32 pm

Just another thought on the diesel question.

Does anyone run the cooking oil option? My understanding is that you can run up to 10,000 miles a year tax-free?
I have thought of E10 fuel.
I believe it to be ethanol with 10% diesel to give the required lubrication.
I have only just started looking into it but I think it ticks the emission box's
:?:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

derestrictor

February 10th, 2018, 5:27 pm

wonkywheel wrote:Just another thought on the diesel question.

Does anyone run the cooking oil option? My understanding is that you can run up to 10,000 miles a year tax-free?
I have thought of E10 fuel.
I believe it to be ethanol with 10% diesel to give the required lubrication.
I have only just started looking into it but I think it ticks the emission box's
:?:
A workmate was formerly a taxi driver and the owner of firm was running his small fleet on this fuel, all was well until cold weather apparently when they had symptoms that sound like fuel starvation, it was thought the fuel' waxed'
(if thats the right term)
anyway ultimately they had to stop using it as cars wouldn't run!
i don't know the accuracy of this but I'll ask him next week if he knew the answer