Powerpart Battery Chargers

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
RobYorkshire

Powerpart Battery Chargers

June 21st, 2017, 1:50 pm

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm looking to fit a battery charger to my Suntrekker so when at home or on the odd occasion I'm on site, I can take advantage of the hook up to top up the leisure batteries. At present the hook up is just powering two sockets inside.

I've spoke to a few local caravan servicing places along with a couple of mobile engineers and they're all recommending a Powerpart charger, either a 10A or 20A model.

I was told these differed from the multi-stage / intelligent type, which I thought were preferred however looking at the spec it does indeed say multi-stage.

Am I right in thinking it'd take a maximum of 5.5 hours to charge a 110Ah battery? 110 / 20?

Does anyone have experience of these? I can't seem to find any reviews online.

http://www.homesteadcaravans.co.uk/acce ... ormer-.htm
Ford Ranger 2.5TD Super Cab 4x4 & Suntrekker Demountable

Mike

Re: Powerpart Battery Chargers

June 21st, 2017, 7:04 pm

I use a ctek battery charger it's self regulating and also has a function which "cleans" the battery by pulsing the current. Just plug it in and connect to terminals very easy. It's not cheap but good quality.
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

Toshbins

June 21st, 2017, 8:15 pm

I have ctek one on the boat. Works well

sabconsulting

June 24th, 2017, 2:38 pm

I also use CTEK - multi-stage intelligent charger with temperature sensor. Worth the money in my opinion.

Steve.

zildjian
Site Admin

April 5th, 2018, 8:48 pm

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/ ... rs.191870/

What happens when leaving PV cells on roof charging battery at same time as 240V,
I've sort of wondered if this is OK so what do we all think?

keeflester

April 7th, 2018, 3:54 pm

zildjian wrote:https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/ ... rs.191870/

What happens when leaving PV cells on roof charging battery at same time as 240V,
Both charging circuits are protected against back flow by a diode, so the worst that can happen is both devices will shut down when they have detected the battery is fully charged. So there’s no danger of over-charging the leisure battery. It’s no different from running the solar and the alternator at the same time!
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.

sabconsulting

April 8th, 2018, 11:37 am

keeflester wrote:
zildjian wrote:https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/ ... rs.191870/

Both charging circuits are protected against back flow by a diode, so the worst that can happen is both devices will shut down when they have detected the battery is fully charged. So there’s no danger of over-charging the leisure battery. It’s no different from running the solar and the alternator at the same time!
Although this isn't going to cause your camper to self-destruct, the risk can be that different chargers don't play well together or cope with varying load and decide not to charge your battery.

I have Ring 8-amp intelligent battery charger I bought some years ago. When I tried to use that with the camper (after deciding the really cheap charger fitted was junk) the damn thing would soon shut itself down with an error code assuming that the battery is damaged. This was because 1) there would be varying voltage coming from the solar and 2) the battery was under load while being charged (small intermittent loads). This was made worse by intermittent input from the solar install I had at the time I.e. the pattern of changing voltages didn't match what the charger expected and it shut down.

After that I changed to a CTEK MPPT DC-to-DC charger for the alternator and solar feeds and a 10 amp mains charger also from CTEK. These two played nicely together and also coped with current being intermittently drawn out of the battery being charged by accessories.

Steve.