My Ranger & Suntrekker - Intro / Updates

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Ogden scamper

Re: My Ranger & Suntrekker - Intro / Updates

August 16th, 2018, 8:10 pm

Rob
that looks like a nice compact setup to use can i ask how its attached as well please?

RobYorkshire

August 16th, 2018, 8:14 pm

Yeah that's fine, I'm just trying to upload them in a way where the forum won't resize them!

Annoyingly it seems to be cropping the ends of the photos off - if you'd like the correct ratio higher resolution ones just give me a shout and I'll send them over.
Last edited by RobYorkshire on August 16th, 2018, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ford Ranger 2.5TD Super Cab 4x4 & Suntrekker Demountable

RobYorkshire

August 16th, 2018, 8:19 pm

mjb666

August 16th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Hi Rob

WOW! What a Fabulous adventure with Superb photo's.

I have just re-read your original 'want' list and just wondered if you would now consider a larger hardwall De-mountable over the Suntrekker?

Mike
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

RobYorkshire

August 16th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Thanks Mike.

It's a tough one. My trips mainly consist of "wild camping" which can often lead me down rough country lanes and tracks etc. I'm sometimes wary (although I'm probably wrong) that the Suntrekker is encroaching on the trucks limits in regards to weight, especially when you take into account the extra water containers and other odds and ends that are necessary for longer trips. I certainly wouldn't want anything heavier. I've seen a few people with the bigger heavier hardwall campers having issues with their chassis cracking even on supercab models with the weight correctly distributed.

Having said that, the addition of a wetroom would be a godsend. Aside from the enclosed toilet / shower facilities, the ability to hang wet clothes and so on would be priceless. Zildjian was correct above in that you're forced to bring the outside in with you. I'll be doing the Wild Atlantic Way over a month and will have the benefit of launderettes along the way but if I was somewhere more remote I'd have to rely on rigging up a line outside to dry clothes and the majority of the time I'm travelling around during the day and just parking up for an evening / night.

Apart from the wetroom I don't think there's anything else I'd require from a more modern unit - a fixed bed would be nice but it only takes 2 minutes to make the sofas up and this allows me to use the luton area for storage.
Last edited by RobYorkshire on August 16th, 2018, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobYorkshire

August 16th, 2018, 11:05 pm

Ogden scamper wrote:Rob
that looks like a nice compact setup to use can i ask how its attached as well please?
Hello mate - the camper is currently off the truck but I'll be remounting it soon so I'll grab some photos of what's what :)

TheWalshyWay

August 17th, 2018, 8:10 am

Hi Rob, I'm in a very similar situation with regard to usage, in my case I do a lot of water based activities Kayaking, Windsurfing, and a wet room is a great addition. I also currently have a Suntrekker but have now acquired a Ranger Demountable as a project as my wife wanted a 'fixed bed'. Coming close to finishing the "project" and looking forward to heading to the French Alps in a couple of weeks time. It will be interesting to see how my Isuzu single cab 2.5, 138 bhp copes with the (what I expect) heavier Ranger compared to the Suntrekker !

B

wonkywheel

August 17th, 2018, 10:44 am

Great photo's, great adventure. Thanks for sharing them.

Those tires look as if your ready for anything :lol: Do you carry any other items, Winch? Waffle boards or the like?

Mark
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

RobYorkshire

August 17th, 2018, 1:33 pm

TheWalshyWay wrote:Hi Rob, I'm in a very similar situation with regard to usage, in my case I do a lot of water based activities Kayaking, Windsurfing, and a wet room is a great addition. I also currently have a Suntrekker but have now acquired a Ranger Demountable as a project as my wife wanted a 'fixed bed'. Coming close to finishing the "project" and looking forward to heading to the French Alps in a couple of weeks time. It will be interesting to see how my Isuzu single cab 2.5, 138 bhp copes with the (what I expect) heavier Ranger compared to the Suntrekker !

B
Good stuff B. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Ranger. I'm sure it'll be more suited to the Alps as the Suntrekker doesn't have any insulation! I was thinking of going to Norway next year but it'd have to be a summer trip for this reason. I have the Eberspacher fitted which does a great job of heating the camper but sadly that heat isn't retained!

That's another thing - my Ranger is only 110 bhp so I think I'd definitely feel a heavier camper!

RobYorkshire

August 17th, 2018, 1:38 pm

wonkywheel wrote:Great photo's, great adventure. Thanks for sharing them.

Those tires look as if your ready for anything :lol: Do you carry any other items, Winch? Waffle boards or the like?

Mark
I have a set of road wheels and tyres for the truck but have never fitted them as the Cooper's just look so purposeful!

I don't carry anything in terms of recovery gear other than rope, despite always opting for wild camping I haven't ventured anywhere too extreme yet.

I have had silly thoughts of doing a round the world trip but if I was going down the demountable route I think I'd want a truck with air con and an insulated camper with toilet / shower.