Toyota Tacoma Vs Hilux

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
zildjian
Site Admin

Toyota Tacoma Vs Hilux

March 18th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Interesting comparisons here between the US marketed Tacoma opposed (rest of the World) Hilux

Image Image

Here

sabconsulting

Re: Toyota Tacoma Vs Hilux

March 18th, 2017, 8:59 pm

I like the look of the bottom one. But at the end of the day my vote goes to whichever is more commonly seen with a 50mm heavy machine gun mounted in the load bed or 2 tons of drill pipe hanging out the back (I've seen that in Thailand).

We must remember that in the US if you intend to carry stuff in your pickup truck you buy an F250HD / 2500HD or above. Anything below these (both half tons and compacts) are expected to carry a BBQ and a few bags of cement, so expect the manufacturer to look to provide suspension appropriate for that and compatible with a comfortable ride, and possibly skimp on other things to save money. Remember, they wouldn't want you buying a cheapo compact pickup, or even a half ton, and carrying a ton of payload - they want to up-sell you a more expensive truck for that.

Here in Europe emission-based tax bands (and therefore minimum payload for a truck), driving license categories and the sheer inconvenience of driving anything larger mean that up-selling tactic doesn't really work so manufacturers are stuck with having to build compact trucks that are capable of carrying a lot more. Having said that, check out the prices - Last summer I ran through the Ford US configurator and figured that a US F250HD of a similar spec to a UK Ford Ranger was also similar money.

Steve.

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Toyota Tacoma Vs Hilux

March 18th, 2017, 9:10 pm

very much horses for courses (or sales territories)
Tacoma more widely expected to travel on paved roads in friendly climates,
the rest for everywhere less clement like Russia or Arctic circle

the addition of anti-tank gun was perhaps not originally foreseen by Toyota and almost certainly invalidates any number of recalls if offered at dealership