Mounting camper to flatbed

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
RobYorkshire

Mounting camper to flatbed

March 6th, 2017, 1:22 am

Hi all,

Hopefully an easy one!

I have my eye on a pickup however the usual load bed has been replaced with a DIY flat bed. I presume as long as this area is wide / long enough for the camper base to sit on, and there's adequate mounts for the tie downs, all is well?

I wasn't sure if it was the norm for the campers to rest on the "ridge" that runs along over each wheel arch too, therefore providing more support and stability?

Cheers.
Ford Ranger 2.5TD Super Cab 4x4 & Suntrekker Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Mounting camper to flatbed

March 6th, 2017, 4:37 am

Not sure about 'ridge' you refer to, but to clarify
typically the wheelarches on many Euro trucks are around 900-1000mm apart which allows camper to slide between them, if you have a truck with tub subsituted with flat bed there will either be no wheel arches (as flatbed is now above wheels) or quite shallow arches but still hopefully same distance apart

is there a picture available please?

RobYorkshire

March 6th, 2017, 12:14 pm

It might be recognised by a few on here as apparently it was specifically designed to take a Suntrekker demountable.
Ford Ranger 2.5TD Super Cab 4x4 & Suntrekker Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

March 6th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Well either just use the eyebolts installed or drill and refit your own to match a bigger camper,
there aren't any pictures of the installation between that flat bed and the truck below but assuming its similar to the normal tub thats enough for all but serious off-roading