Tyres

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
saDgit

Tyres

January 30th, 2017, 11:08 am

OK I need to buy some new tyres. As always there is conflicting advice and information on the web but my question is this ...

Is it necessary to renew all four tyres at once? Or can I renew an axle at a time?

Discussions on the web all seem to revolve around the risk of transmission 'wind up' - likely to occur if the tyres on one axle are significantly different in size from the tyres on the other axle. Obviously I can see that might be an issue if the tyres on the two axles were completely different brands and sizes but posts on some forums even suggest that different tread depth on otherwise identical tyres can cause problems. Surely this would only be the case on a vehicle that was permanently driving all four wheels? On my Ranger, which I only use in four-wheel drive very occasionally and then usually not for very long, can I get away with renewing tyres one axle at a time or am I asking for trouble? :?
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

keeflester

Re: Tyres

January 30th, 2017, 5:53 pm

you will only encounter transmission wind-up if you select 4wd un-necessarily on ground which is providing traction to all four wheels. You can happily change tyres as and when it's convenient and as long as you only use 4wd on loose, slippery, or other typical off-road conditions the reduction in traction will obviate any wind-up problems.

I took the risk of using 4wd to get the low range on my ranger on a hard stony track which was too steep for the fully loaded Northstar and Ranger. The weak point in my transmission turned out to be the main gearbox layshaft pinion, which munched its woodruff key and required me to drive 169 miles in fourth gear across France to get on the Chunnel so I could get recovered home from the English side. I didn't know about the trick of pulling the relay to prevent the front axle from engaging. Every day is a learning day and that one was expensive.
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.

rubberrat

January 30th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Change tyres an axle at a time, thats good practice anyway. Unless you are making a significant size change you won't encounter problems.
Of course if in 4x4 on solid ground there 'could' be a problem with TX wind up, but you'll never do that anyway.
Any kind of slip on the ground, mud, grass etc will allow the wind-up to dial itself out
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

saDgit

January 30th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Excellent, thanks for the prompt replies.

Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab

zildjian
Site Admin

January 30th, 2017, 7:02 pm

I replaced tyres on rear axle late last summer not through choice as they all needed renewing really but couldn't get hold of the odd sizes this is fitted with
don't believe it makes much a difference and any wind-up you can lose either on loose/wet road surface or couple of donuts in Carrefour parking area

have at it...

saDgit

January 30th, 2017, 9:13 pm

saDgit wrote:Excellent, thanks for the prompt replies.

What is this 'jobs'? :lol:
Martin

zildjian
Site Admin

January 30th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Understandable given your location,
here in UK we cant afford to vote in a libertarian Hammon as you did yesterday

No 600 Euro's for any of us to sit around at home instead of being gainfully employed, oh no....