Access to spare wheel when camper is on board.

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Gary W

Re: Access to spare wheel when camper is on board.

March 4th, 2017, 10:58 am

It's another option :D

Best wishes

Gary

SBS Adventure Campers

Mobile: +44 (0) 7595 368 422
Desk: +44 (0) 1305 305 900

Web: sbsadventurecampers.com
Web: djangocampers.eu

earthman

March 4th, 2017, 9:40 pm

sabconsulting wrote:
TrueDink wrote:And make sure your jack is capable of lifting the truck and camper to actually change the wheel.
Yes. I don't ever use the pressed steel OEM jack. I carry a 12 ton bottle jack instead.

Steve.
I think that the highest rated bottle jack that I have at the moment is 2 ton, assuming that you are only lifting one corner of the vehicle at a time, even with a camper on board, surely that should be more than adequate? :)

To be honest I would have thought that the steel one supplied would have been rated/tested with the bed loaded to it's full weight capacity, otherwise injury lawyers etc would have a strong case against them.

sabconsulting

March 4th, 2017, 10:05 pm

earthman wrote:
sabconsulting wrote:
TrueDink wrote:And make sure your jack is capable of lifting the truck and camper to actually change the wheel.
Yes. I don't ever use the pressed steel OEM jack. I carry a 12 ton bottle jack instead.

Steve.
I think that the highest rated bottle jack that I have at the moment is 2 ton, assuming that you are only lifting one corner of the vehicle at a time, even with a camper on board, surely that should be more than adequate? :)

To be honest I would have thought that the steel one supplied would have been rated/tested with the bed loaded to it's full weight capacity, otherwise injury lawyers etc would have a strong case against them.
I'm not really implying that everyone needs a 12-ton jack. It just happened to be the old jack from my 6x6 GMC duece-and-a-half :D

Having said that, a higher-rated and larger jack will be more stable and easier to lift the truck with.

Steve.

earthman

March 5th, 2017, 2:48 pm

I've just discovered that my 2 ton bottle jack won't extended far enough anyhow,....this is my first vehicle with serious ground clearance. Lol

zildjian
Site Admin

March 5th, 2017, 2:52 pm

let tyres down first (all four)
change wheel
summon AA with compressor :D

earthman

March 5th, 2017, 4:07 pm

zildjian wrote:let tyres down first (all four)
change wheel
summon AA with compressor :D
Lol, that's an option I hadn't thought of, carrying blocks of wood is one but not something I really want to do. :)