Replacement Legs - DIY Style

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
mjb666

Replacement Legs - DIY Style

November 17th, 2016, 8:57 pm

1. The manual wind legs for my unit were not very good when i purchased it 6 years ago so i had a Mate cut them open & overhaul them. In the Spring of 2016 one of them 'Jammed' down so i went back to said Mate for Help? A big fat NO was the reply but i will make you a new set.

Imagefree picture upload

Imagehow to screen capture

2. I purchased four of these trailer legs from E-Bay for £120 inc delivery with 1500KG Max load on each as a starting point

Imageimgurl

3. As the unit had locating/mounting box sections at each corner under the floor & a screw above to hold the leg against the side , a similar approach was decided upon for the new set-up.

Imageimage hosting over 5mb
Imagehow to capture screen

4. The most obvious problem for the two legs at the front was they were too short so the base plate was cut off, welded to new over size tubing which in turn was welded to the original leg which in turn gained the extra length required.
Imageimage hosting 10mb limit

5. Using the old set-up took about 45 mins to load/unload. It now takes about 20 minutes with approx 10 turns of each handle to raise it high enough to drive out from underneath & it can also be lowered close to the ground when on site.

6. OK, i admit i have cheated because i have a Great Mate who can turn his hand to most things, i can't, so Thanks Luke. Total cost for the four legs was approx £400.

PS. They do the job & look pretty smart too.
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Replacement Legs - DIY Style

November 18th, 2016, 6:05 pm

Handy having a mate like that isn't it, made nice job of those and they should easily do the trick

Alexd

November 21st, 2016, 1:40 pm

Bet he could make some pocket money amongst the membership here :lol:

mjb666

November 21st, 2016, 8:41 pm

Hi Alex

He did it as a favour due to the fact he won't allow me near tools of any sort due to my total lack of DIY skills!

I would obviously ask him if another Member was stuck but most people on here seem to be more than handy.

I can put more detailed pictures up if anyone was interested for any pointers.
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable