New hosting (UPDATED! 10/9)

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
zildjian
Site Admin

New hosting (UPDATED! 10/9)

September 4th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Sometime this year (possibly sooner than later) our site will be migrating to another server,
this is happening because to get the name we need on the top & jump up the ratings on google and attract more members I need to invest a little,
it won't be membership, it will look the same & with a few handy new features for those of you wishing to be notified of fresh threads etc.

As usual, any ideas welcome however small they might appear, are always noted.

Zildjian

rubberrat

Re: New hosting

September 4th, 2014, 9:29 pm

So, Donations? what would work?
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

September 4th, 2014, 10:15 pm

Well, after the initial outlay on a domain like 'demountablecamperclubforum.com' or something along those lines
I've been given a price of $200 +hosting, an ongoing cost of $5 or so monthly, this is a dialogue with a very nice chap called Mark who actually speaks English/Code that I can understand.

We can discuss the way forward, my views are this:
Don't like cliquey sites, get turned off where I can't access freely, or advice I cant ask without being pestered over joining.

I didn't 'get' Pauls home page, it seemed chaotic and without a clear point neither a blog nor an Ebay widget but with a forum out back, if anything I would face it the other way

welcome>help to buy>trip reports>hint n tips and BTW a word from our sponsors

zildjian
Site Admin

September 4th, 2014, 10:30 pm

Mark I'm looking at your holiday picture of the camper-off-truck as possible banner for site,
I also have Truedinks as well,

Reckon one of them would represent the benefits of demount's perfectly
only thing is I'm not sure either of these will work in a long thin picture have you got any others?

Eurosully

September 5th, 2014, 9:41 am

Hi all......whilst I have not been a prolific "poster" on this or "the other" forum, I (and I am sure there are loads of others) have benefitted in a big way from the collective knowledge of the people who are more prone to posting and their ethos of supporting others. Prior to buying my unit around 12 months ago, I had spent the previous few months covertly hanging out in the forum pages, absorbing information.

It would be a shame to loose this aspect of the community, so my thoughts would be to maintain this ability for non members to gain vital info, which would hopefully nurtutre the community aspect of this very niche group and grow longer term contributing members. I would be very happy to make a donation/payment towards the ongoing development and maintenance of the forum and I'm happy to do that now (after all, I have just paid out £44 for membership to the Caravan Club..... :oops: I'm sure I won't here the last of that!) if it would help to get things going. (this "mirror forum" seems to have very quickly gathered momentum, and there is a lot more activity and things to read, so I am rarely looking at the old site)

I guess I am describing what is known as a "Freemium model" free to join and access some, but not all of the features, to access all of the content you would need to contribute towards a perceived benefit. This does not need to be a thread on the forum, it could be as simple as a "member sticker" or badge or some other feature.

Either way, I am happy to support financially to the up keep and look forward to being part of a growing community, I am sure others would feel the same way too.

Phew......I need a brew now......all that philosophical typing.....!!

zildjian
Site Admin

September 5th, 2014, 10:08 am

And breathe..

relax its not vanishing, I'm against paying for access and don't have any plans to,
although I take onboard whats been said and thank you for option.

zildjian
Site Admin

September 10th, 2014, 7:12 pm

OK then people,
As of Sept 10th we are:
-Readying the new host Co to transfer all our content to (threads,comment,pictures)
our technical expert is looking into image sizing as I know from Keith this is a recurring problem,

-Reviewing a nice banner to replace the irrelevant hot air balloons at present with a camper/truck of some sort,
there's a pretty logo on the sketch pad too,
and one I hope to replicate on any amount of tat I expect you to purchase and to this end ultimately there will be a 'shop'

-Hope there won't a repeat of the post count for 'new members' that was something I take on board as I didn't know about that when I opened up shop the other month,

All you should see one day soon when you visit is a re-direction link to the new place!

/message ends :mrgreen:

rubberrat

Re: New hosting (UPDATED! 10/9)

September 10th, 2014, 9:18 pm

Ok skip, we're ready to roll!
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: New hosting (UPDATED! 10/9)

September 10th, 2014, 9:26 pm

Well we will be as soon as title/banner/logo are

keeflester