Trackers

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Black Countryman

Trackers

October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm

As both pickup & camper insurance time is fast approaching I started thinking about fitting some sort of tracker device to the vehicle and possibly adding a second one to the camper.

The idea of fitting one to the vehicle is reduce my premium and fitting one to the camper is a bit belt and braces just in case any thieves disable the one on the pickup.

Being tight, I don't want to spend several hundred pounds and, ideally, would like something that could easily be switched to another vehicle.

Has anyone got any experience of cheaper trackers?

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Trackers

October 11th, 2016, 9:07 pm

Be aware these are all network based which means anyone turning up on your drive with one of these in his pocket

and can drive off with any tracker rendered useless

http://jammers4u.com/jammer

Toshbins

October 11th, 2016, 10:33 pm

I've fitted a Cantrack. It's comparable upfront cost to others, but cheaper annual subscription. It has the big advantage of being a fit and forget item. 10 yr battery life and you don't need to turn it on and off like an alarm- which you do with other systems - it just sits there broadcasting a tracker signal.
Disadvantage is that it only broadcasts a signal at fixed intervals (you set how often) so can't be tracked continuously. That means though, that the thieves are not likely to disable it so easily.

If it's stolen the Cantrack subscription means that they will go and find it for you (and liaise with police). You can also track it on your phone.
They claim a recovery rate very similar to more expensive systems.

For me though, it's the simplicity and reliability. It's not dependent on me remembering to switch it on.

Alexd

October 16th, 2016, 9:32 am

What out of interest is the alternative if any to a network based/connected system like this otherwise its a payg sim i reckon