New Fiat pick-up

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Wornwings

Re: New Fiat pick-up

March 2nd, 2017, 10:29 pm

The donkey choices !

I have two D Max Blade double cab models and both are working trucks and very competent. Both are 2.5 litre twin turbo fours rated at 120 kW (163 BHP) with over 400 Nm (295 lbs/ft) torque at below 2000 rpm. The warranty at 5 years or 120K miles is attractive.

I bought the first one new in 2015 with an auto box with "tiptronic"capability, in its first year it covered 2OK miles and for a large part of the time towing a trailer filled with aviation fuel and weighing in at 3.4 tonne + approximately 500 kgs in the back all over some of the worst roads in the Scottish Highlands. It never misses a beat on the road and the chassis is rock steady and tows very comfortably.

Because of the first buy I bought another to double as a work truck + take my 2008 Northstar 700 and as I was in a hurry and wanted a white one (blame the wife...) I had to settle for a 2014 2nd hand manual Blade model. It goes great with the NS on the back which all up weighs in at 920 kgs. Not knowing much about air bags at the time I fitted the US made Timbren rubbers to the rear. They do a solid job though when the camper is off the back the ride is very "firm". I do wish it was an auto but other than that I'm happy with it.

I also have a double cab L200 Animal 2.5 160 BHP of 2007 vintage which now has 108K miles on it and is a great machine though softer sprung than the D Max. The bed was too short for the NS camper and as a working vehicle can only tow 2.7 tonne so I ruled out buying a new one. The Hi Lux is a great vehicle but again it can't do the rated towing I require, though I know folks who tow above limit with them and have no problem. I never took to the Nissan Navara mainly because I know others who had problems with them but they have a great cab and have a good road presence.

Look forward to comparing notes on this subject and many others at the meet in June.

Awra best.

Paul