Iceland

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
richc

Iceland

September 1st, 2014, 3:09 pm

So lets kick this one off then....

Not a trip done in a demountable (although saw lots of them over there - seemed to be the standard hire truck)

2004 Iceland with 3 landrover 101's (these arn't my photos but a friends, once I've sorted out my websapce I'll post mine)

http://www.101fc.net/iceland-2004/index.htm

My truck is the tiggerish one (called tiggurr)

Rich

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Iceland

September 1st, 2014, 8:14 pm

I'd like to see that for myself I think, good photo's those nice to be able to share the experience.

Landscape looks to some moon-like, to me almost whimsical couple of questions for now;
whats that Reddy coloured stone,
What was the retro looking jeep/truck on blocks?

richc

September 2nd, 2014, 12:19 am

Its a strange place, it is almost desert like in places but you can see this giant ice mass

The glacier is not only the biggest in Europe but also bigger than all the other glaciers in europe added together

Whale watching was great - out at sea at 11pm (still light) watching whales and drinking hot chcolate with cinnamon buns

At the time we went diesel was cheap but you paid a tax up front, well the tax was £100 for the month and the diesel 45p a litre. I had 230 litre diesel tanks so got most of the tax back in the 1st fillup. Now its up to european prices as the tax is collected at the pump.

They have changed the ferry routing now so it does not come into Lerwick so its a long drive to scandinavia to catch the ferry or you ship your vehicle (probably only worth it if you are planning to stay for 3 months)

Towns often had free campsites net door to the leisure centre where you could get cleaned up and float in hot tubs, ah its a hard life this overlanding lark

Rich

PS no idea on the stone, which page to give me a chance on the jeep thing

zildjian
Site Admin

September 2nd, 2014, 7:16 am

This one...

I visit a Scandinavian site on all sorts of tractors and trucks where I reckon I've seen these before,
and I'm heading over there with picture next to ask them.

(would like BTW)

richc

September 2nd, 2014, 10:12 am

I don't know is the answer, lets see if yur other site can come up with an answer

Rich

zildjian
Site Admin

September 2nd, 2014, 10:21 am

I've posted that image on there, probably turn out to be some old scania-jeep or something,

I recently found out that Scandiv' has the hightes number of american cars outside USA

zildjian
Site Admin

September 2nd, 2014, 7:07 pm

Gaz 69 apparently

(well bits of it at least, looks half jeep I suspect) well that and welding-work on the wheel arches