Bimobil type

Self builds and DIY projects
Big Jim

Bimobil type

October 5th, 2015, 10:01 pm

Hi All
after considering many options I have an idea to build something , still just an idea at the moment . I am looking for something a little simpler and lighter . The Bimobil type looks good you can see a video here.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Here are my reasons
They are more spacious .
We would probably go away for a week or two at a time rather than a. weekend , so the extra faff of mounting less of an issue.
I already have an engine crane , with a long reach and wonder if I could lift off the buck with the canopy still atatched through the back door . If so the mounting could be as easy as a standard demountable that uses a canopy.
It would be great to get rid of the weight of the buck and tail gate
More storage under the seats for heavy items , gas , batteries etc , making more stable.
The option to put the door on the side .
A nice feeling of it bolted solid to the truck
More stable on its legs as the front 2 would be as short as the back.
Much easier build shape.
And not so .....well....ugly :roll:

I don't think I would have a boiler , A/C, heating ,indoor shower, but would have outside gas shower , solar TV. I don't know if I could manage with an electric cool box or would need a fridge.

I would welcome some other ideas , let me know what you think.
Jim

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Bimobil type

October 6th, 2015, 7:16 am

Bimobil market is pretty buoyant and if you wanted to try this route and unless you specifically wanted to construct from scratch we would always suggest buying a used outfit and and using it for a year on just such long trips, see what works and what doesn't for yourselves, sell it and either buy-up, or build your own.

Amongst the shiny units on sale here daily, there are good used outfits in Germany at affordable prices, take a look back over 6 pages in sales and see,

Not seen a tub & canopy lifted off complete but don't see why its not possible with some forethought

zildjian
Site Admin

October 6th, 2015, 8:24 am

Big Jim

October 6th, 2015, 8:27 am

You are right. Things always seem easier after a couple of glasses of wine ! It would be better to live with one for a while to see what I would want to change.
It looks like a lot of them come complete with truck and I don't really want LHD. I don't mind travelling to Europe to collect , but guess I would need the truck modified over there to accept the demount. My son I law speaks French and German , so could take him away on an all expenses paid weekend away.
Does any one know if there is a particular truck that is easier or harder to remove the back for one of these units ?

zildjian
Site Admin

October 6th, 2015, 8:30 am

Darren would know He and Claire are the importer into the UK I'll mail him

AdventureOverlandUk

October 6th, 2015, 8:45 am

Hi Jim.

A bimobil build can go onto a bimobil supplied vehicle or they are more than happy to build onto your own truck. The best type of truck to build on will always depend on the intended use you have for the vehicle, indeed the most popular is the Navara, I would say that there is not much difference in the demounting process for most models...unless you start talking about demounting some of the big truck!
You are welcome to drop me a line if you need to discuss anything further, and I can send some tech data to you.

Rgds.

Darren

info@adventureoverlanduk.com

derestrictor

October 6th, 2015, 2:20 pm

Buying an already constructed example living with it for awhile then using it as a pattern to make your own would be the way to go, maybe keep it long enough to refer across too then sell it on for same money after a year
that makes pretty good sense