Who's that knocking at my door?

Self builds and DIY projects
saDgit

Who's that knocking at my door?

July 31st, 2015, 3:49 pm

Away from home and unable to work on my camper but still thinking through what has to be done and how to do it. I've been wondering whether to go for a window in the door, or just a 'peep-hole' viewer, or one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Night-Vision- ... 27f01513b5 - which looks pretty neat. Cheaper than a window, more expensive than a basic viewer. Anybody have any experience with such a piece of kit? Is it any good? Is it worth the money?

Cheers.
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Who's that knocking at my door?

August 1st, 2015, 12:50 pm

Well thats quite unexpected from you Martin
all the same I admire this weeks fresh gadget, I think on this occasion it might be more sociable to just open the door unless you were going full French and have shutters over the windows too :D

saDgit

August 1st, 2015, 1:27 pm

zildjian wrote:Well thats quite unexpected from you Martin
all the same I admire this weeks fresh gadget, I think on this occasion it might be more sociable to just open the door unless you were going full French and have shutters over the windows too :D
Yeah well - we still choose to wild camp whenever we can but having opened the door once to three guys with balaclavas and a gun (and come off a little the worse for wear), and having been broken into and robbed once as we slept, we're now more inclined towards caution than sociability. Sad isn't it but all part of life on the road I guess? Both times in the south of France incidentally, as was the attempt to break in to our Karosser demountable. Makes you wonder who'd want to live there doesn't it?! :lol:
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab

zildjian
Site Admin

August 1st, 2015, 1:30 pm

Your region look s a pretty place to live all the same, but then you are in Toulouse-range of course

lamp-it

August 2nd, 2015, 8:53 am

I don't know wjat area of france obviously but its a fact in a truck it pays to be secure overnight, and even keep skylight closed way up on top of cab let alone windows
so can quite appreciate his desire for security

only thing you might say is an actual window might give you a wider view perhaps?
Rob

Phoenixsp1

August 4th, 2015, 6:54 pm

I've been wondering about this to as I've now made the door on the suntrekker solid.. I did go to a caravan breakers and look at the windows out of old caravan doors but they are a bit bigger than I wanted really. My main worry was that it would be dark in the camper but in reality its perfectly light even with the blinds shut as the roof vents let in a fair amount of light, so I probably won't do anything for now.

derestrictor

August 6th, 2015, 8:25 am

wouldn't a simple spy-hole lens thing do the same job though, it would be unobtrusive at least, not require batteries or any moving parts, can't be smashed I dont think

saDgit

August 6th, 2015, 9:29 am

derestrictor wrote:wouldn't a simple spy-hole lens thing do the same job though, it would be unobtrusive at least, not require batteries or any moving parts, can't be smashed I dont think
Maybe. That was my first thought but I've tried looking through a cheap one (3 quid) and couldn't see anything useful. Could make out that it was a person but little else.
Martin

saDgit

August 26th, 2015, 10:43 am

Finally stopped umming and aarghing and ordered one of these from SVB in Germany.

Really silly money but it ticks all the boxes and I like it. :D All I've got to do now is make a door!
Martin

zildjian
Site Admin

August 26th, 2015, 4:11 pm

So, a 'Window' then, after all that

you had the chance to massively over-think this as I usually do, and add an air actuated shutter or portal and now gone and ordered a pedestrian option :|

well I hope you are happy looking-out-of-your-so-called-window

now you'll have to clean and polish it and that will serve you right