Suntrekker on T4 Double Cab project

Self builds and DIY projects
Phoenixsp1

Re: Suntrekker on T4 Double Cab project

June 16th, 2015, 4:53 pm

A few bits and bobs done, I finally got my bolt croppers out and cut the chains for the bed to the correct length. I've also added some stainless steel spring loaded bolts to lock the bed at the bulkhead end, I think they are normally used for trailer sides but are well made and solid plus cheap. The mattress on the bed is off my Ikea sofa bed, I didn't want to use the original foam as I'm a bit funny about sleeping on other peoples old mattresses. The Ikea foam is 100mm thick and fairly comfortable, its in 2 parts, has covers and joined by a zip, the main part is just over 4 foot long and the other piece is about 2 foot, overall the bed is 6 foot 4" long and about 4ft 8" wide. It takes around 30 seconds to break down the bed or set it up which isn't too bad. I still need to make a head board, probably out of some scrap pine and the roof lining is not back in the Luton yet as I have a couple of small jobs to do behind the control panel.

I nearly forgot, I've started work on the floor. The raised section was missing in my Suntrekker so I made a new one from some pine tongue and groove boards I had. Still need to finish the area where the toilet used to be located, well I've decided the toilet is probably going back there for the time being. I did a test with my compressor coolbox and it does fit but sticks out a fair way so you lose some foot space.

Bed out....
Bed in...

I've added some more of the cargo tracking, this time to the bulkhead below the bed. This was more of a pain than it seemed as I have to remove one of the side panels to get the bulkhead out to add an extra strip of timber to the back to hold the pronged t nuts for the stainless bolts on the the track to screw into.

I've added an experimental £10 - 200mm PC fan to my roof vent over the kitchen, this is set to suck the air out of the camper. I'm hoping that when I'm in bed this will cause some extra air flow from the vent above my head, it does seems to work and you only have to open the vent a crack so no risk of rain. It does also have red leds in it so looks quite snazzy at night but I hope I don't attact any unwanted attention.

Nothing much has happened at the other end apart from the fan but those in the know might have noticed that I have removed the fold up sink, it was a bit of a monstrosity and huge and I can't imagine who would like sitting next to the bottom of a sink when it was folded up? I'm planning to fit a Smev glass top sink I've had lying about where the current hob is located, this is going to involve lengthening the water pipe, adding a pressure switch etc and adding a new waste outlet though the side of the camper. I'm wondering what to do with the old folding tap but it looks like it would make a great beer pump... :P I may make a wooden top that I can use where the old sink is when I need some extra work space..

Cooking wise I plan to use my old Origo 3000 meths cooker or a portable single ring gas cartridge burner, this is so I can take it outside when the weather is good. When I have hookup I'll probably use a portable electric single ring induction cooker, I haven't bought one yet but been told they are pretty good, anyone used one? I'd like to add a 240 volt power socket above the tiles behind the fold up work surface as for some reason the builders of the Suntrekker fitted it virtually on the floor on the side of the seat, can anyone see a problem with this or any safety issues?

saDgit

June 16th, 2015, 5:54 pm

Phoenixsp1 wrote:I nearly forgot, I've started work on the floor. The raised section was missing in my Suntrekker so I made a new one from some pine tongue and groove boards I had.

I really like the t&g floor Clive. Looks great.
I've added an experimental £10 - 200mm PC fan to my roof vent over the kitchen, this is set to suck the air out of the camper. It does also have red leds in it so looks quite snazzy at night but I hope I don't attact any unwanted attention.

Surely attracting unwanted attention is a price worth paying for having something as cool as that! ;)
When I have hookup I'll probably use a portable electric single ring induction cooker, I haven't bought one yet but been told they are pretty good, anyone used one?
Yeah, we're on our second. Whenever we're plugged in we use that and save gas. They work well and are ridiculously cheap. Only downside is that they hold their heat so if you want to travel soon after using it you need to find somewhere safe for it to sit while it cools.
I'd like to add a 240 volt power socket above the tiles behind the fold up work surface as for some reason the builders of the Suntrekker fitted it virtually on the floor on the side of the seat, can anyone see a problem with this or any safety issues?
I fitted one just as you describe in our Suntrekker. You can just see it in this pic.
I can't remember how I got the cable to it but, as far as I recall, I took power from the back of the stupidly-located existing socket. Definitely worth doing - it makes it usable!
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

Phoenixsp1

June 17th, 2015, 1:57 pm

saDgit wrote:I fitted one just as you describe in our Suntrekker. You can just see it in this pic.
I can't remember how I got the cable to it but, as far as I recall, I took power from the back of the stupidly-located existing socket. Definitely worth doing - it makes it usable!
I presume your Suntrekker was slightly newer than mine as it has a more modern looking Stainless Steel hob, did it still have the grill underneath?

The Kitchen pod is riveted is to the camper along the edge next to the window, the rivets are covered by the carpeted side panel so I imagine if I drill out a couple of rivets I should be able to slide a cable behind quite easily.

Did you cut out the hole for the socket with a dremel? I don't suppose you can remember how much space there is behind the panel where the socket is mounted, did you have to fit a box for the socket behind or could I get away with just fitting the front plate? I imagine this would be ok since the camper is none conducting? Do you have anther socket under the fold up bit? Was that rail in the photo for hanging cooking utensils, I like that idea and the light looks useful, was that wired into the battery?

If you have any other pictures of the interior I'd be interested to see them Martin, you can email them if its a pain to post them phoenixsp1@gmail.com

Phoenixsp1

June 17th, 2015, 2:18 pm

saDgit wrote:Yeah, we're on our second. Whenever we're plugged in we use that and save gas. They work well and are ridiculously cheap. Only downside is that they hold their heat so if you want to travel soon after using it you need to find somewhere safe for it to sit while it cools.
Is yours definitely an induction hob or a more standard electric ring? My understanding with the induction hobs is that they don't get hot which is one of the great advantages, especially in a small area, plus they are very efficient and the heat can be controlled very precisely. It works using a magnetic field to setup a circulating electric current in the pan itself so actually only the pan gets hot, the only disadvantage is that your cooking pans need to be ferrous metal, so you can only use cast iron, steel or certain stainless cooking pans, no ali or glass pans.

This is the type of thing I mean. http://www.johnlewis.com/tefal-ih201840 ... =232272858

saDgit

June 17th, 2015, 3:37 pm

Phoenixsp1 wrote:Is yours definitely an induction hob or a more standard electric ring?
Doh!! :oops: Sorry Clive, too many varnish fumes has impaired reading ability and brain function! Yeah, I was talking about standard electric rings not fancy induction hobs.
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab

Phoenixsp1

June 17th, 2015, 4:28 pm

saDgit wrote:
Phoenixsp1 wrote:Is yours definitely an induction hob or a more standard electric ring?
Doh!! :oops: Sorry Clive, too many varnish fumes has impaired reading ability and brain function! Yeah, I was talking about standard electric rings not fancy induction hobs.
Haha, it can have that effect all these chemicals. Did you spot my questions above, you might have missed it because I posted twice?

zildjian
Site Admin

June 17th, 2015, 4:49 pm

Martin, how enclosed a space are you working in just now,

Might pay to just step away from the job in hand (just for a bit)

saDgit

June 17th, 2015, 5:29 pm

Phoenixsp1 wrote:Did you spot my questions above, you might have missed it because I posted twice?
Yeah, I've sent you an email.
Martin

Phoenixsp1

August 4th, 2015, 6:47 pm

I've been rather slack lately :roll: but thought I'd provide a quick update as I did a bit of work on the box today...

I decided to go full chequer plate door, top and bottom. Just need to get the panels powder coated black. The vent and the gas locker will be going soon...

I finally managed to find a piece of thin stainless at the local scrappers for the sink top, only £2, the best price I could find online new was £38 delivered. :o So I got that cut out to the shape of the counter top using an angle grinder and a jigsaw for the curves and dropped the smev sink in. I'll probably make a stainless splash back to cover the tiles and may well cover the counter top next to the sink with stainless when a piece comes up.

I pulled the carpet off around the bottom of the door today and found it was all wet and rotten as its a bit of a water trap, so I scraped it all out and I've bonded in some new wood. I intend to fibreglass over the top with some epoxy so its fully sealed, can't understand why it wasn't glassed in properly anyway?

I finally fitted the new wooden roof panel into the luton and cut down the original suntrekker headboard and refitted it to the bed using stainless bolts and rivnuts...

Mike

August 4th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Nice job particularly like the sink looking forward to the next installment
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable