saDgit's flat-faced pop-top

Self builds and DIY projects

Re: saDgit's flat-faced pop-top

Postby saDgit » 27 Jun 2016 12:51

TrueDink wrote:Great build. Thanks for sharing it with us. I've really enjoyed reading your posts and looking at the pictures with envy.

You're very kind, thank you.
Martin
http://truckcamperbuilder.com

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside and self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
saDgit

Vehicle: Ranger DC/self-built

Postby zildjian » 27 Jun 2016 16:42

Think we'd all like to have a retrospective shaped camper like Martin's, we'd certainly love to see it here in UK

very much
zildjian
Site Admin

Vehicle: Hilux/SKarosser

Postby saDgit » 27 Jun 2016 17:19

zildjian wrote:Think we'd all like to have a retrospective shaped camper like Martin's, we'd certainly love to see it here in UK

very much

Thank you Richard. Hopefully next year's gathering?
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside and self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
saDgit

Postby derestrictor » 30 Jun 2016 08:52

and when is the maiden voyage then sadgit? its been such a long time it seems since starting it 8-)
derestrictor

Postby saDgit » 07 Jul 2016 10:50

derestrictor wrote:and when is the maiden voyage then sadgit? its been such a long time it seems since starting it 8-)

Not exactly a maiden voyage, more a sort of shakedown and snagging trip, but we took the camper up to the Verdon and the Lac de Ste-Croix to give it a bit of a go and see if anything dropped off, fell apart, or didn't work. Parked up in one of our favourite spots on the lakeside in the shade of the oaks. Sadly at weekends it's everybody else's favourite spot as well but mid-week, or better still mid-winter, it's a beautiful place to be!

We made sure our route included a fair number of bumpy roads, hairpin bends, roundabouts and speed bumps (all of which are in plentiful supply around here) and I'm pleased to say the outfit drove beautifully - not fully loaded by any means, but with full tanks (diesel, water and gas) and some clutter. When I checked the chains and turnbuckles after a few miles there had been some 'relaxation' on the heavier side of the camper as it had settled into the bed - pretty much as you'd expect really and very simple to remedy by cranking up the turnbuckles. From then on it was rock solid. :D

Incidentally I'm trying it with three sets of chains and turnbuckles on each side at the moment. Two of those are tied down to eyebolts in the corners of the pickup bed, as is fairly standard. Although they pull forwards and backwards satisfactorily, because I've made the floor of the camper as wide as possible they don't apply a particularly strong pull outwards, especially at the front end. So I'm trying it with a third set of turnbuckles and chains running from the camper's front tie-downs to eyebolts fixed into existing threaded holes in the reinforced upper front corners of the bed. So they're applying a constant pull forwards and sideways. It's early days but they seem to be doing the business.

As to the snagging, nothing dropped off or fell apart and, after a momentary confusion as to why the gas wasn't coming through to the hob (it helps if you turn it on! :oops: ), everything worked.
Martin

saDgit

Postby zildjian » 08 Jul 2016 07:54

Hurrah then, must be reassuring to find you're on right track after all, do the gas taps come multi-lingual I can always run you off some big round stickers in both red & green if thats helpful
zildjian
Site Admin

Vehicle: Hilux/SKarosser

Postby saDgit » 08 Jul 2016 08:03

zildjian wrote:Hurrah then, must be reassuring to find you're on right track after all, do the gas taps come multi-lingual I can always run you off some big round stickers in both red & green if thats helpful

No, the taps are quite clear. It's the mind that's a fog! :lol: :lol:
Martin

saDgit

Postby keeflester » 08 Jul 2016 19:08

saDgit wrote:
zildjian wrote:Hurrah then, must be reassuring to find you're on right track after all, do the gas taps come multi-lingual I can always run you off some big round stickers in both red & green if thats helpful

No, the taps are quite clear. It's the mind that's a fog! :lol: :lol:

Oh bugger, you sound just like me! No good can come of this. LOL
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.
keeflester

Vehicle: Ford Transit

Postby saDgit » 11 Feb 2017 15:45

Spending my day removing the aluminium trim, Sikaflex and butyl sealant from the front of the camper to find and eliminate the source of this discolouration of the ply. Water's obviously got in somehow.

Depressing job but I guess it serves me right for not doing it properly first time :-( No Apollo jokes please! ;-)

Martin

saDgit

Previous

Return to Self builders & projects please