My Plan - I need help...

Self builds and DIY projects
willf

Re: My Plan - I need help...

December 7th, 2014, 11:11 am

I have had a quote to make a full GRP mould. That would have to take it to a full business plan rather than a one off self build.

It would cost £6-7000 to make a plug and one body shell and one roof shell. The gazelle is £10600 empty so it is a saving but still more than I would like to pay for an empty shell with nothing t all with it.

I have sketches. Hundreds of them!

So many ideas.

willf

December 7th, 2014, 11:14 am

I might give in and use marine ply.

maybe aluminium roof maybe GRP roof as it will cost significantly less than the whole body in GRP.

I like GRP as it won't rot and if rain sits under the body on the load bed it won't soak up into it.

The more thoughts I have the more questions I have!

zildjian
Site Admin

December 7th, 2014, 11:40 am

I (briefly) thought about it initially,
few things spring to mind
in my case, level of patience required is clearly beyond my attention span and almost anyone could stick at it beyond that.

attention to detail and sourcing all the little components seemed very time consuming unless you order stateside.

to make it lightweight GRP would be just great, did you see SBS will construct a shell for you to fit out,
in your case essentially you need on the lower half with upper being hinged off base and lighter in construction

saDgit

December 7th, 2014, 6:15 pm

Been looking at this myself recently. Although there are obvious logistical difficulties, if you're looking for someone to build you an empty shell Truck Camper Europe, based near Malaga, offer ally-framed and skinned, pop-top shells at surprisingly low prices. They come with windows, skylights, some pre-wiring, tie-downs, etc. all of which can be fitted to your own specs.
They're at https://sites.google.com/site/truckcampereurope/inicio
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

willf

December 7th, 2014, 11:20 pm

Cheap but a very long way from South Wales! Do they post them!?

Robmac

December 8th, 2014, 2:38 pm

saDgit wrote:Been looking at this myself recently. Although there are obvious logistical difficulties, if you're looking for someone to build you an empty shell Truck Camper Europe, based near Malaga, offer ally-framed and skinned, pop-top shells at surprisingly low prices. They come with windows, skylights, some pre-wiring, tie-downs, etc. all of which can be fitted to your own specs.
They're at https://sites.google.com/site/truckcampereurope/inicio
They are good prices!

I couldn't see a price for the bare shell though?

willf

December 8th, 2014, 3:05 pm

€4900 plus vat for the adventure model. But add 48 hours of solid driving there and back!

Robmac

December 9th, 2014, 2:00 pm

willf wrote:€4900 plus vat for the adventure model. But add 48 hours of solid driving there and back!
So I suppose quite a lot of fuel costs, and VAT/Import duty when coming back?

Are there condensation issues with pop-tops?

zildjian
Site Admin

December 9th, 2014, 2:35 pm

Well i'd heard the insulative qualities (perhaps obviously) weren't as good as a hardside camper, but then TBF you might reasonably have deduced that yourself, so it all depends on where and when you intend using it.

the hardy campers amongst us camp all year round I don't

Robmac

December 9th, 2014, 5:56 pm

zildjian wrote:Well i'd heard the insulative qualities (perhaps obviously) weren't as good as a hardside camper, but then TBF you might reasonably have deduced that yourself, so it all depends on where and when you intend using it.

the hardy campers amongst us camp all year round I don't
Yes I suspected as much.

I camp all year round including a lot of Scotland in Winter, so maybe the hardside would be the better option. It wouldn't really bother me too much as I also winter camp in tents, but it wouldn't help in persuading Mrs Mac that we NEED a demountable!