My Plan - I need help...

Self builds and DIY projects
willf

My Plan - I need help...

December 5th, 2014, 10:32 pm

So i would like to create a fairly simple, light demountable. It will have a fold over roof either forwards over the cab or sideways.
Opening will allow a double bed on the upturned roof and standing height in the pickup bed. The pickup bed part of the box will contain Amdro style modular plywood furniture that can be removed to allow day to day use of the pickup with the demountable in place. So demountable camper with demountable furniture.
I have a pickup because HMRC has recently changed it's BIK tax rules with regards to Kombi vans.
I need my pickup to work (as a vet's truck) carry my family, carry my dogs, take me surfing, take me mountain biking, take my kids to the beach, go camping and provide secure sleeping for four, be driveable everyday including off road and ideally not have to take the demountable off very often.
My truck is a VW Amarok.

I am taking inspiration from flip pac and http://www.wedgetailcampers.com.au and trayon campers Australia. I also really like the French Gazell.

My truck is a standard UK double cab and it is not a flatbed so design will have to be modified to fit the normal loadbed, unless some one knows people who can convert Amaroks to flatbeds...

willf

Re: My Plan - I need help...

December 5th, 2014, 10:35 pm

Inspiration list

Www.gazell.fr

Www.amdro.co.uk

Www.trayon.com

Flip pac at www.adventuretrailers.com

And the above mentioned wedgetail.

zildjian
Site Admin

December 5th, 2014, 10:39 pm

OK gazell I can picture, seen their stuff, you must have a lot of patience and I think we shall be interested to watch this idea come along

Was just watching the video you mentioned, thats some feat of space saving and engineering, bet he's tops at origami as well

willf

December 5th, 2014, 10:43 pm

Tent wise materials are easy to choose and I have a sail making friend who I expect can help with the sewing.

My problem is the box and the hinge.

What should I use to make the box? Wood, aluminium or steel frame and what materials do folk use for the walls? I don't want ply outside. I was thinking there must be some sort of grp composite or insulated sheet material available. What do Qaudtec use for their Land Rover bodies?

How does one make a hinge that stays inside to prevent leaking when driving, is strong, and doesn't get in the way?

I would like the box to overhang the cab slightly (or to stick out from back end of truck with cut out to allow decent departure angle) to allow at least six foot of sleeping room.

Any help greatly appreciated.

zildjian
Site Admin

December 5th, 2014, 10:48 pm

Wilf, how's you French
http://www.casa-trotter.com/phpBB3/inde ... mid=706257
casa trotter here have a section on self builds, the one we were all looking at a month or so back was a GRP construction item that looked totally professional,
where are you based?

zildjian
Site Admin

December 5th, 2014, 10:49 pm

Right, here's the actual link, take a read/scan of this and its timeline
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=89

its the second link BTW :D

derestrictor

December 5th, 2014, 11:01 pm

You are South Wales, you might try speaking to those people SBS (see recent thread)) in Dorset

ask them what they suggest as a construction base material, since not a million miles away

zildjian
Site Admin

December 6th, 2014, 9:12 pm

So Wilf, any further thoughts,

We'd be interested if you have any preliminary sketches of what you had in mind,
SBS certainly look a good starting point, old school says wooden construction but the casa trottter link and a degree of patience shows just what modern construction can achieve

Hawkeye

December 6th, 2014, 9:25 pm

Those 'Trayon' are a work of art like you said got to admire the space utilisation, any thought on how you plan to unload the camper ?
traditionally they stand with a leg in each corner or the 70's lighter fibreglass models made do with a tripod arrangement,
think I read here about the difficulty in buying legs in UK

willf

December 7th, 2014, 11:05 am

there is also this as more inspiration and probably slightly easier to make

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCXLYHYj47c