Pneumatic system (yes Mark, science)

Self builds and DIY projects
zildjian
Site Admin

Pneumatic system (yes Mark, science)

November 8th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Needing to maintain a minimal amount of air in system (as recommended by manufacturers) been looking around at ways to make system do this by itself when not carrying a camper.

Not really anything on market to add into system and detect low pressure and add some automatically, experimented with something used in hydroponics (irrigation)
where when a fluid passing through a valve suddenly stops the component can be made to trigger a valve or tap
but these operate at much much lower pressures than I need, and consequently worked initially, but failed.

I have a gauge to monitor air pressure though but at night can't read it well, so instead of all the wonderful things in my head I had to fix it

...........installed a short LED lamp alongside to illuminate it instead. :o

I know many of you will feel short-changed and may be exhibiting signs of disappointment at this pedestrian solution,
but it was raining and I'd already branded myself once this morning with the soldering iron

rubberrat

Re: Pneumatic system (yes Mark, science)

November 8th, 2014, 5:46 pm

I'd have just gone for a head torch ;)

Seriously though, there are tyre pressure remote monitoring things about these days, i'm too lazy to google them but would they be able to be set at say 10psi?

TBH I just bung a bit in - guesstimating 10psi and check every now and then with a tyre pressure gauge.
Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Pneumatic system (yes Mark, science)

November 8th, 2014, 5:58 pm

Maximum: doesn't matter,
Minimum: a bit more so.

You remember mines a reservoir of air held in a tank underneath, its on tap so just needs something to trigger the fill valve occasionally.
Cold weather causes an ongoing loss of air so fitting a regulator (like in scuba) means overnight it would have a good go at emptying the tank, and then compressor works overtime to build it up again,
so thats out!

tank BTW also allows me to carry a curly hose & gauge to deflate and fill tyres at will