External Repairs - Rot :(

Self builds and DIY projects
FinAde

External Repairs - Rot :(

October 5th, 2014, 4:59 pm

We decided to take a section of the base out and see how bad the rot had gotten into the support beams. On first inspection it looked like everything was fine apart from the rot in the corner underneath the bathroom, which had been caused by water getting in from the outside.
However, once the back panel was loosened, more was found in the support around the toilet cassette and again on the opposite corner under the water tank. Luckily all from rain getting in and not leakage from inside.
A couple of new mahogany supports and loads of rot treatment later (looks a mess but it's very solid now) and we're ready to put a new base piece on made from WBP plywood. Then back to the small repairs we originally thought were all that needed doing !

Oh, and couldn't resist a shot of the new truck :P Not tried loading it yet but that's the next step once the camper is back on its feet..

Tischer 230
VW Amarok

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: External Repairs - Rot :(

October 5th, 2014, 6:01 pm

New truck ✓
end in sight now hopefully, anyway have you found any similarities between yours and Mike's repairs so far,
suppose unless your one of the new band of year-round campers its safe to take your time until next spring

keeflester

October 5th, 2014, 6:36 pm

zildjian wrote:New truck ✓
end in sight now hopefully, anyway have you found any similarities between yours and Mike's repairs so far,
suppose unless your one of the new band of year-round campers its safe to take your time until next spring
Oh Zildjian, us all year-round campers aren't a new band you know. We've been at it quietly to ourselves for years, I'm ashamed to say. :lol:
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.

FinAde

October 5th, 2014, 6:39 pm

Not really similar to Mike's problem, the door frame is ok and the main floor and most of the structure is still sound, just the few bits underneath and from the back edges. Think we caught it in time and saved it from getting too deep. Yes won't be winter camping for this season, so plenty of time to get the rest sorted once it's protected from the elements ☺
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

zildjian
Site Admin

October 5th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Firstly glad its making more sense and there is a limit to the rot and so you can judge how far you have to go with it !
secondly; new truck to put it on, (also good but need pictures to judge roughly how much to hate and despise you) :(

Now this all year round camping,
I'm not saying its a bad idea and obviously RR swanning off to Greece doesn't count, I'm picturing shut-down amusement arcades
and other scenes of urban blight
I dare say if its Highlands or Lake district where the trees are often scarce anyway the landscape wouldn't look so different in Winter or spring

keeflester

October 5th, 2014, 7:43 pm

zildjian wrote:Firstly glad its making more sense and there is a limit to the rot and so you can judge how far you have to go with it !
secondly; new truck to put it on, (also good but need pictures to judge roughly how much to hate and despise you) :(

Now this all year round camping,
I'm not saying its a bad idea and obviously RR swanning off to Greece doesn't count, I'm picturing shut-down amusement arcades
and other scenes of urban blight
I dare say if its Highlands or Lake district where the trees are often scarce anyway the landscape wouldn't look so different in Winter or spring
we are so getting off-topic here, ain't it great not having thread nazis! anyway, we're heading into the picos europa and some of asturias and galicia at christmas. That sort-of counts as winter campering. Not sure if our style is stealthy wild-camping or just anri-social... The second, I guess :lol:
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.

zildjian
Site Admin

October 5th, 2014, 7:47 pm

No I suggest a subcategory where your 'fun-button' seems to gotten stuck firmly on,

take plenty of pictures though (just send them in exactly the order you expect them to appear)

ta

Mike

October 5th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Looks familiar, same sort of rot I had, but mine had spread, a bit, one thing I wondered was the toilet flush tank has a small drain plug which in my case may have come loose at some time and dripped down the front of the cassette opening and into the timber where you have had to replace the spar. How are you going to replace the outer ali skin. Did you manage to salvage it.
VW looks good BTW.
2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 Wildtrack
Nomad ( Ranger ) Demountable

FinAde

October 6th, 2014, 7:57 pm

Will have to look into the drain on the flush. All dry in the cassette box apart from one side of the frame. Outer skin only needed replacing on the side, as it was far too dented to straighten. Got a new piece from Apollo, which is now painted perspex rather than aluminium but fits well. We managed to pull the rear aluminium skin free enough to make the repairs without bending it too much - had to take the door out - and it's gone back into place fine. It's all one piece at the back unlike yours which looks like it's in 3 sections.
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

FinAde

October 6th, 2014, 8:18 pm

zildjian wrote:Firstly glad its making more sense and there is a limit to the rot and so you can judge how far you have to go with it !

Haven't had much chance to take any more pics yet but this is a closer look.

Tischer make a demountable specifically for it....just hope the Apollo fits :?

Seriously not gloating...much

Tischer 230
VW Amarok