External Repairs - Rot :(

Self builds and DIY projects
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: External Repairs - Rot :(

October 6th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Looks great its always fun having a new car,
camper will fit of course it will, if you'd try to shoe horn it into the back of an old landrover it would have been a different story but these all fit modern pickups OK
the only exception I can think off was one of mine (A navara) where it fitted so low in the tub it was all but impossible to get at the anchor points to load/unload it.

What I did was screw together a simple wooden sub-frame which I placed on floor of tub and loaded camper directly onto it which raised it an inch or so to make it easier, but not so much to make it unwieldy at all, same camper fitted subsequent hilux's no bother but now I need to pop off the tailgate otherwise it would bump into the underslung grey water tank on camper,

this BTW is common and not an issue unless you drop it on your toes as you remove it,
but a useful lump of weight gone and you'll notice it on the road!

Air bags on rear axle then?

FinAde

October 6th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Pretty sure the tailgate will have to come off. It did on the L200 purely for the reason the tailgate brackets were in the way. Might have to put a frame in as the bed is deeper and the cab higher so might not clear the top of the cab by a few mm.

Airbags are the next purchase, look like they'll be easy to fit too.
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

zildjian
Site Admin

October 6th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Normally involves removing the rubber bump-stops
(keep these in garage for replacement when you (if) you sell car)

Hey your a wizz with a soldering iron,
I'll send you a pneumatic drawing of my system and then we can both have an elaborate overblown scheme to cause Ruberrat a complex

(in addition to the whole Norfolk thing obviously)

zildjian
Site Admin

October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Spent the morning with RichC on his Apollo working out best four points to fix it down,
we were wondering how much you'd looked at fitting your to VW

did you mention it was already low in the tub anyway?
front wasn't so much a problem on Rich's but the rear for example seemed to have really no room to reach between the tub side (where tailgate closes to) and the side of the camper.

Might be be more roomy on yours but on His there was no way you'd get at a turnbuckle to tighten it, in the end we drilled a hole horizontally straight through the tube that carries towbar
and bolted the eyebolts straight through that and ran strap diagonally down from rear leg bracket on camper (via the welded slot below that as well) down to the bolts.

Rich will take a couple of pics and put them up might be helpful

rubberrat

October 11th, 2014, 9:38 pm

zildjian wrote:Normally involves removing the rubber bump-stops
(keep these in garage for replacement when you (if) you sell car)

Hey your a wizz with a soldering iron,
I'll send you a pneumatic drawing of my system and then we can both have an elaborate overblown scheme to cause Ruberrat a complex

(in addition to the whole Norfolk thing obviously)

I have no issues with Richards 'Donk'

And whats with the 'Norfolk Thing'?

Any more from you and I'll send my cousins round...

Chevrolet 3.0 LUV Tischer Trail 200

FinAde

October 12th, 2014, 12:08 pm

zildjian wrote:Spent the morning with RichC on his Apollo working out best four points to fix it down,
we were wondering how much you'd looked at fitting your to VW

did you mention it was already low in the tub anyway?
front wasn't so much a problem on Rich's but the rear for example seemed to have really no room to reach between the tub side (where tailgate closes to) and the side of the camper.

Might be be more roomy on yours but on His there was no way you'd get at a turnbuckle to tighten it, in the end we drilled a hole horizontally straight through the tube that carries towbar
and bolted the eyebolts straight through that and ran strap diagonally down from rear leg bracket on camper (via the welded slot below that as well) down to the bolts.

Rich will take a couple of pics and put them up might be helpful
It is a snug fit on the L200, no chance of getting any straps down into the tub. Still working on the final panel underneath of ours so still not tried it on the new truck yet. It's slightly wider than the L200 so hopefully we can get at the load hooks at the back.
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

zildjian
Site Admin

October 13th, 2014, 9:45 pm

Rich is fitting a tray beneath camper to spread its weight more evenly across the corrugated load bed, how much height do you anticipate having to gain to comfortably clear roof?

Que

March 28th, 2015, 2:32 pm

WE have a similar problem in the same place on our Apollo. Did you establish where the water was coming in? I made a temporary repair some time back and sealed everything in sight, cassette door, rear lights, marker lights, loo window, rear awning etc. I'm going to do a full investigation in the summer, and take off the bottom as you did. In the mean time I still think water is getting in and haven't fathomed where from yet. It's definitely rain, as there is now a drain hole underneath which is dry most of the time but occasionally after a good down poor its wet.
Nissan D40 KingCab
Apollo Demountable
Weston-Super-Mare

saDgit

March 28th, 2015, 3:56 pm

Definitely check on cassette doors and SKarrosser owners beware! The build quality of SKarrosser campers is generally really good but I found damp in our bathroom wall, fortunately long before any serious damage was done, and had to strip out the whole washroom to find the cause. It was a poorly fitted cassette hatch. There was lots of sealant still in place and apparently intact but the hole in the wall had been cut too wide and consequently the hatch frame was being pulled and distorted allowing water to get around the door and down into the frame. The cure was to refit the hatch with a 10mm strip of wood down one side to ensure the frame stayed square.

While I had the washroom in bits though I also found another build problem. The hole for the shower waste fitting in ours was oversize and coincided exactly with the plug recess in the shower tray.Image

Consequently the plughole itself (which is in the middle of the shower tray - exactly where you tend to stand when showering) and the area around it was unsupported and I discovered a very neat but complete crack running at least half way round the recess.

Again fortunately I found this before any damage had been done. I fixed the crack with Plastex (An amazing American product. Worth checking out if you need to repair plastic.) and made a duckboard to use in the shower so that it was impossible to put a foot directly onto the plughole.
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

zildjian
Site Admin

March 28th, 2015, 4:17 pm

Thats interesting, I'm going to check mine today after that, fortunate you thought to investigate that Martin