alterations to suntrekker demountable

Self builds and DIY projects
Staretain

alterations to suntrekker demountable

January 27th, 2024, 9:54 pm

Hi everyone, Just purchased an used suntrekker for my defender 130.
I was wondering if any of you guys ever had to alter such a camper to make it fit better. It sits quiet high as the cab of the defender 130 is higher than other pickups. so I had to make a platform 300mm high that sits underneath the camper so it will clear the roof. I know one guy cut about 150mm off the underneath of the front of the camper so it would sit lower into the tub, but then the high bedspace is ruined!
I've only travelled once with it (from the seller) and it does seem top heavy but maybe this is normal for these type campers. Any info appreciated.

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: alterations to suntrekker demountable

January 27th, 2024, 10:48 pm

Hi,
Think I've seen that one with overcab chopped away to make fit, I'd have thought on balance a bit more care cornering easily outweighs
losing the bed space.
Suntrekker's came back into favour as a pretty much rot-proof product with Island plastics going out of business but their campers outliving some of the poorly made timber construction units, there's a list of the few things to look out for in our buyers guide elsewhere on the site.

So while dry and generally pretty good, they are still manufactured from heavy fibreglass compared to lighter GRP design that came later on

Staretain

January 27th, 2024, 11:13 pm

Thanks guys, Here is a photo, what you think?
side view.jpg

zildjian
Site Admin

January 28th, 2024, 8:49 am

It is higher than ideal, but not overl.,

No if you don't find extra height an issue then a timber sub-frame works, you aren't the first.

Most camper manufacturers have made spoecific versions of their range for LR, they just add a few extra inches at about waist level of campers,
so the overcab clears your roof, most buyers do as you have, I expect the set of legs to stand camper on might not reach the ground as a result so either extend them at foot, or add some large blocks on floor

Staretain

January 31st, 2024, 3:24 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions but after some consideration I am thinking of cutting about 200mm of the bottom of the overcab and raise the floor at the upper bed area. We are happy to sacrifice the top bed. I think it would be much more stable sitting down properly into the tub. Another reason is that we would always have to carry around the big timber tray that's underneath it.

I will just need to figure out how to repair the fiberglass now, to make it look untouched!.

zildjian
Site Admin

January 31st, 2024, 9:35 pm

Well if you are sleeping on bed lengthways (North South) it would only be your feet in the overcab anyway so that won't be a loss,
Fibreglassing is to me at least, a dark art frankly
I usually get more of it stuck to me than where it should be :)

Staretain

February 4th, 2024, 7:41 pm

I'll keep you posted, cheers