Fitting Heki Midi skylight

Self builds and DIY projects
zildjian
Site Admin

Fitting Heki Midi skylight

July 21st, 2018, 9:44 pm

So, fancied a bit more light & ventilation over bed area for awhile, a Heki came along at right price it had no fitting kit but they are easily available online for around £20

I've re-sited one of the PV panels out of the way and scraped off worst of stubborn adhesive

they need an aperture of 500x700mm complete with small radius in each corner

Circular hole is where Mushroom vent had been fitted previously

I've included the existing circular hole into my cut-out to save me trying to clean off the old sealant

All marked out in felt tip, so that's sort of permanent now isn't it

Here on bench the exterior half of Heki (upside down) showing the slots where the 15 fixing kits will slot upwards into

here a single fixing is shown how it locates, it has a single screw into plastic & then Two upwards into ceiling/Batten in roof

These are the Two different length kits, I ordered original for 35mm thickness roof, but thinking then I'd settle skylight onto band of double sided tape plus Silkaflex, I decided instead to order kit with longer prongs to make sure they would fix properly

these are the sprung clips that will hold inner ceiling trim complete with blind and mosquito net

Tomorrow I expect to get on and jigsaw out the roof panel, try the skylight in place for fit,
prepare and fit a batten inside the roof first scraping out insulation to make room

zildjian
Site Admin

Day Two

July 22nd, 2018, 12:59 pm

Maked out from yesterday afternoon, I added some Masking tape for good measure to avoid hopefully any further scratches

This 'nibbler' handtool had to come in handy sometime, means I can open up slot in roof neatly

Rather like opening a tin can up in straight line

The waste just curls up before it to twist off and discard carefully

Cuts nice tight radius as well

then took wood blade in jigsaw to cut through internal insulation & ceiling below and
and drop panel neatly out of way

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Fitting Heki Midi skylight

July 22nd, 2018, 1:07 pm

At this stage just drop Heki into hole to make sure it will actually fit, manufacturer says to leave up to 2mm gap all around for expansion in heat
Take a chisel or blade and hack out 25mm of insulation back from edge of hole remember this is an aluminium and very sharp edge you have now

Polystyrene goes everywhere of course

be sure and remove it from both top & bottom inner surfaces as a batten of wood needs to slot in next to screw Heki to

zildjian
Site Admin

July 22nd, 2018, 1:10 pm

I used a softwood I had here, it was 30mm high and 20mm wide

just cut four of the to suit
push them back no further than you have to

zildjian
Site Admin

July 22nd, 2018, 1:16 pm

With whatever sealant applied to underside of Skylight you choose to use (they recommend Silkaflex)
I used a double sided tape to bed it down to roof with, followed by bead of Silka round outside,

In these pics you can see how their fixings locate in underside with prongs (to keep it aligned)
then up to three screws holding it to both upper half and ceiling

they say to you have up to 20minutes between plonking it on roof and pulling it down inside by its fixings

zildjian
Site Admin

July 22nd, 2018, 1:21 pm

ceiling trim C/w blinds just clips up onto back of those fixing brackets

and as I couldn't find my scaffold tower anywhere, I used back of truck & some ramps to access it

I've tidied up some cabling on roof as I can now access it more readily from skylight

zildjian
Site Admin

July 22nd, 2018, 1:26 pm

{Note} the screws provided with fitting kit are not only a non standard star-headed drive,
they also shear off if you aren't careful!

Tools needed;
Tape measure
Square,
pliers,
screwdriver,
saw,
jigsaw (wood & metal blades)
Silkaflex & double sided skylight tape
access
Hoover

I have some wood machining but batten to support window
but you could probably buy at about right thickness or plane by hand to fit

saDgit

July 22nd, 2018, 1:57 pm

Nice job Zildjian. When's next rain due? ;)

Thanks..Image
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

mjb666

July 22nd, 2018, 6:09 pm

I'm really impressed with that new Heki skylight and the step by step fitting photo's. Do other companies make a similar type roof skylight, i have only heard of Heki?

It is something that i would like to attempt and have above the fixed bed in the luton but how can you decide where to cut out the hole for fitting. By which i mean, can you just decide on the desired position in the roof and cut or do you somehow have to work out where the roof has support underneath, how can you tell where to cut and not compromise roof strength?

I ask as i can't see through my ceiling/roof and have no plans from the original build. Sorry if this seems such a simple question?
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

July 22nd, 2018, 7:56 pm

Find someone with a stud detector (for finding nails in stud walls)
run that over your ceiling and see if you can see a line of nails indicating a frame beneath,
if you don't,

cut a hole where you like really.

There are other makes and some with easier fitting it was just the Heki are freely available I enquired with a a few caravan breakers who (eventually) came back to me but after I'd bought on Ebay