SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
wonkywheel

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

February 14th, 2020, 10:18 pm

The best-laid plans fall apart.

The PVC sheet that I want is in Bradford. Quite a trek for me so it should be an early start Friday morning :roll:
Friday is always the best day for me because my daughter is off work alternate Fridays so I don't have to worry about the dog.
A perfect sheet is £40 but they do seconds at £10 each, which is what I was aiming for.
I shortened my roof rack subframe. Purchased a 12mm sheet of Stirling board and screwed it to the subframe. Securely cable-tied it to the roof rack ready to go. Then I sorted a selection of ropes for tie-downs, a new roll of gaffer tape, Stanley knife Addressed up the sat nav. :oops: :oops:

Then I thought I should just check that they had some seconds in stock. :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :oops:

Sorry, we have none at the moment try again on Monday.

So with storm "Dennis" on the horizon, It looks like it might be another 2 weeks before I try again.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

February 15th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Dennis Disaster

With what I thought was a secure load on my roof bars I went to the local country park this afternoon to walk the dog. 8-)

The return journey was very traumatic to say the least. My 12 mm sterling board was screwed to my aluminium box-section subframe with 8 screws. The sub-frame fixed to my roof bars with 8 heavy-duty cable ties. Then as an extra precaution, 2 Thule straps held both to a roof bar. :roll:
A strong gust of wind while traveling at 40 mph managed to break one of the straps, pull the wood off the sub-frame, snap all 8 cable ties and bend the sub-frame. One strap held and I finished up dragging everything down the road while it beat against the side of the truck. :o :o :o
Not pleased :twisted:
While I was struggling to undo the knotted straps to free everything a POLICE van pulled up behind me with his hazard lights on. My hazard lights were also on although the nearside unit was damaged in the freedom attempt and was not working. The two policemen asked me what I intended to do about it.
Bearing in mind by now it is really blowing hard with driving rain :(
I said chuck the board into the ditch and hope its there when the wind drops to pick up later.
They offered to load it into their van, and follow me home to deliver it. Which they did.
i CANNOT THANK THEM ENOUGH, THEY WERE VERY HELPFUL.
I EVEN TOLD THEM I TAKE BACK ALL THE THINGS I HAD SAID ABOUT THEM :lol: :lol: :lol:

I might renew my search for a nearer supplier of economic 2mm PVC sheets
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

February 15th, 2020, 7:15 pm

You certainly appear to be living the dream just now, either that or writing a Country & western song :)

wonkywheel

February 15th, 2020, 8:46 pm

Living Knightmare :lol:

Camper aedificavit domum