SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

August 26th, 2019, 8:21 am

Well let's hope it doesn't go all geometric and 'engineer' then I quite like what you've achieved there so far....

wonkywheel

August 26th, 2019, 4:36 pm

It is difficult not to go "Engineering" :roll: having been a precision engineer and toolmaker for 54 years :lol:
I have tried though.
I did a few geometric shapes to satisfy the inner me, then, in an effort to cut a better progressive curve had a brainwave :idea: :idea:
I got my sewing box out, :shock: :roll: :geek:
I cut some shapes out with pinking shears, some with my roller cutter.

It is too hot outside to see what they look like so I just bagged them up ready to play in cooler conditions. Also, I need to move the truck so that I can get to the other side for a clean sheet 8-)

I did do a bit to the draws first thing but gave up when it got 30c inside the camper and that was only about 10-30 am :oops:
I had a quick look at the temperature when I took the draw foto and it was 35c

I repositioned the bottom hinges for the dropdown. Put some screw in the facia panel and cut out a couple of draw fronts fitting the button catches as I went. The fronts are only standing in position at the minute as they will be wrapped with ????
With the brushed steel wrap impressing me, I've seen a brushed blue metallic 8-) 8-) :roll:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

wonkywheel

September 2nd, 2019, 9:59 pm

Managed a little more as the Santapod trip nears.
I wanted to get the electrics to the sink unit sorted so that the electric ignition to the burners worked (I could never find the lighter) and I could have running water to the sink.
The fused bus bar for that side of the camper hadn't arrived so at present it relies on the main fuse box and connector blocks.
If I have running water I needed a waste pipe.
With that all sorted behind the draw positions, the draws and front facia could be fitted
After quite a bit of fit, remove, alter, refit, I finally got the draws in and working how I wanted.

I had been playing with the vinyl wrap so I decided to do the draw fronts while I was at it.

Being able to virtually fully open them giving good access and quite a bit of space.

This is the first chance I have had to be able to take a picture of the other side graphics. I am not particularly impressed with my effort but am working on the premise "I can always take it off again" and it does appeal more to me the more I put on :shock:

ImageImage

I think I need an additional color, probably a blue.
The cab-over sliding windows are single glazed and get condensation on them. Also, depending on which way I am parked, the sun can be blinding first thing in the morning. So I made a couple of spring-in insulated panels to fit the opening. You can just make it out.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

September 4th, 2019, 12:54 pm

I like it personally and the fact you can re-apply a different colour shape to suit is even better
And the drawers came out really well, well done

jackweathers223

September 10th, 2019, 11:19 am

There are rv covers that will fit perfectly to protect it from weather. Really a good protective investment.
We provide various RV Accessories for your needs. Visit our Home Page/Website for more information.

URL: rv covers

wonkywheel

September 10th, 2019, 10:36 pm

Thanks for the information Jack but as a home build in aluminium and fibreglass I an hoping its weatherproof enough. There could well be others on the site that are interested so I will pass it along.

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

September 11th, 2019, 7:33 am

After another great weekend at Santapod there is little time to do much on the camper. The fact I am going again next weekend for a meeting called "Hot Rod Drags", means emptying and cleaning and restocking this week.
Initially, I had intended to go on Thursday last week but while trying to get the tyres pumped up using the power socket in the camper I had a total power failure inside. :o
The battery showed good voltage on my meter but nothing at the fuse board. After checking wiring and connectors I tracked the fault down to the battery isolator switch. On prizing it apart I found an oxide film on the copper surfaces where it had obviously not been making good contact. I have come across this before. The power a compressor draws is quite high and a bad connection causes an arc that effectively switches off the power. After cleaning and reassembly, the power was back on ;)
The power out had caused the clock on the radio to reset to zero. While trying to put the time right the power kept going on and off :shock: :shock:
This time the fault was found to be my Chinese fused bus bar. It is a sealed unit so I can't take it apart to look but all the fuses appear to be loose. I think perhaps a spring inside has either broken or moved. I will try some different fuses than the ones that were supplied in case it is a thickness problem but failing that its a replacement. :cry:

A temporary fix was to tape them in place.(Not good for maximum power transmission)

I did manage to put a door and catch on the wardrobe. 8-) Somewhere to hang clothes is much better than a carrier bag :lol:

I even managed to frame out the inside of the storage locker although it only stands in place :?
The locker contained the water tank and filled 1-gallon containers with enough water for the 3 days. On the outward trip, it also had the sidewalls for the event shelter in it. Luckily, the last day(finals day) is a bit frantic with trying to pack away, breakfast, and be ready to spectate, so the sidewalls were thrown inside the camper. On the homeward journey, I noticed I had forgotten to lock the locker door and it had fallen open. Nothing missing that I could tell :roll:

As a side note. I am liking the storage box system more and more and am thinking of trying to make it more pleasing to the eye :roll:

The angle section fits the lip on the boxes well and also gives somewhere for the hooks. :lol:

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

September 11th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Don't worry about getting it finished off properly, Winter will be upon you before you know it and all the dragtser's safely put away till next year
so you'll have ample time then :)

wonkywheel

September 17th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Another 3 days Drag Race meeting over. Fine weather, (actually too hot for me on Saturday afternoon :oops: ) great racing and a lot of pre 73 cars and hot rods to drool over. One of my friends actually purchased a 55 Chevy (2 lane blacktop copy) :mrgreen:

I will miss the last two meetings of the season as it will soon be time to demount the camper and put the truckman top back on the pickup ready for winter.

Everything worked well on this trip. Running water :) inside lights, gas hobs and electronic ignition. Having been given the task of storing tent, bedrolls and sleeping bags for a friend I used one of the bedrolls myself and found the bed even more comfortable than last time, :) I am still looking for a relatively thin comfortable mattress for the bed.
This trip I used my small Halford cool box and with the help of one ice pack was adequate for just a two-night stay. The previous week I used the big Coleman coolbox, which is far better insulated, and placed it on the battery box in between the two seats. The relative height of the cool box to seats was just a bit too high to make a comfortable footstool/leg support. I have been checking out slightly smaller cool boxes to see if I can get one that suits my needs and will allow me to put a cushion on it to make sitting more comfortable and think there is an igloo marine that is the right size. That will be going on my Christmas list :roll: Sitting in the seats to eat, work or read is ok but, not very good for loafing. I need a comfortable power nap position, as I found when it was too hot outside.

With only a couple of us camping together and it being only 2 nights, it was not worth the bother of putting the event shelter up for shade and evening cover (anyway the band didn't finish until 12-30) I am looking into some form of an awning. A Fiamma wind out would be very nice but I can't really justify the sort of money they command. I am thinking more on the lines of an awning rail with a slide in. Something I can put up myself easily without a lot of bother. Even a shade sail might fit the bill :o

Anyway, they are for next year 8-)

Finishing the inside walls and insulation, shower/ toilet with door(not another one :roll: ) have all slipped back due to being able to use it but they must get sorted soon. Well, after more convenient working legs are sorted that is.

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

October 9th, 2019, 10:53 pm

With a bit more time now the camper is off the truck and the truckman top back on for the winter.
In a moment of madness, I thought I might like a bar. I'm not sure where to put it, or even if to put it in the camper. It's really for home use but it did get me thinking.

Image It holds a 2l. can of beer. :o

The only problem with it is its mains operated (240v). That runs the chiller that keeps the can inside at 2 deg C and a small compressor to pressurise the can. I haven't put my power meter on it yet to see what it uses but no doubt I'll get around to it. I'm not a great fan of ultracold beers but it certainly works well.

The main reason for posting was, after considering putting another box on the floor to put a water tank in. (This was after a discussion on the facebook link on the merits of having the weight as far forward as possible) I eventually decided against it. :roll:

Image At present there is just the one battery in the box.
The original thought was to put another in front to virtually bring it level with the end of the seats. After building a mock-up and trying it out I found I like the level floor space better. It seemed too restrictive and kept tripping up the step.
My intention is to fit another 110 amp/hr battery, or probably replace the old one which came out of my teardrop with a matched pair of new ones. I wasn't keen on fitting a water tank in with the batteries. :?

:?:

I have the two under-seat storage boxes that I have not used at all yet. The batteries will fit, one either side a treat.

There will be room for a battery and charger on one side with a battery and possibly a small inverter for a mains option for a tv. I will have to vent and possibly allow for cooling as the storage boxes were silicon sealed on the PVC inner lining. (I could use them as fish tanks if I had a glass top :lol: )
Connecting the batteries in parallel will require some serious cable and as luck would have it Lidl were selling in their reduced tub a pair of good quality 3-meter jump leads for £6.99. I didn't think I could buy the cable for that ;)
Also with cooling and ventilation in mind, I had a nosey in my computer box and found a couple of old 12-volt fans from past computers. They are only 1 watt, are silent running and do give a good blow ;) With an adjustable thermostat, they will be pressed into use, eventually.
Now I have settled on moving the battery positions that means I can look to putting a water container in the box :D
With the camper settled for the winter I have removed all bedding and the like as I was worried about internal condensation,(mainly from me breathing whilst working in there). I found a 2 foot long 15 watt greenhouse electric heater in the shed and will fix it to the floor box with a kick guard and use that for background heating while I have mains connection.

You can see part of the cupboard in one of the picture. I am cutting twin opening doors for that to minimize the door swing.

That's about it for now. I am waiting for some mig wire for when I cut down the maneuvering trolley for the camper. (DHL :evil: :evil:)

Nothing next week as I'm off to Wells next the sea for a weeks holiday, dog walking and relaxing with my daughter.

Camper aedificavit domum