SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
wonkywheel

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

February 17th, 2018, 8:52 am

Zildjian, still quite a bit to do yet before I make the move but I am a lot more optimistic now it's coming together ;)

My to-do list is still quite long before I need to expose it to the general public's gaze I'm afraid. I need to clear a space in the "Car Park" :lol: for it.
I might even strip "Lightning" (teardrop) down for all the useful bits to enable me to stand the chassis on end up a corner somewhere make space, but I am hedging my bets at the moment.
I need to find a garden gate type yale lock to fit on the access gates and do a little fence repairing.
Fitting tie-down eyes to the truck.
Pay more attention to the lifting jacks. I have quite a few bits towards them, leadscrews, nuts, bevel gears, and bearings but need bushes and a final design :o Also fixing the jacks to the camper. Do you leave in position? pack away? or fold up? .....undecided.
Also, can you get insurance for a home build? I even had some toerag try to prize the ball hitch lock of "Lightning"
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

wonkywheel

February 18th, 2018, 6:29 pm

A bit little bit more today.
I did a random test on the strength of one of the 2" x 1" spars. I hit it with a dumb object, Image

The spar stood up quite well :lol: but I don't remember putting the stars in there :lol:

You have seen hard sided demountables, Pop top demountables. But I could have the only ....

CAMO FLOP TOP DEMOUNTABLE

It helps in making it a little less obvious over the fence height and makes a fair workshop(if you look where you are going)

I think I will drag the welding trolley up and weld some or the verticles together while they are in place. I still intend to dismantle it to move up the garden (providing I dont get carried away with the welding)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

February 18th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Nice work!
I would like to award you something for camper-inflicted-injury but that award is safely under my own belt

I'd rather not talk about it OK :)

wonkywheel

February 18th, 2018, 7:52 pm

Oh ....go on

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

February 18th, 2018, 8:13 pm

No, while I accept newbies might look at people like me for the reassurance and certainty of experience :)

I'm really not that guy TBH, and I'm not telling other than the fact it was an insurance claim :(

wonkywheel

February 18th, 2018, 10:43 pm

OK, we will leave it at that. :roll:

Just remember the demountable is on the back next time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

March 20th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Weather looks to be improving :D :D
Stamina after a lazy week in Devon improved too.Back out to the workshop( back garden ) to resume work :o
The camo tarpaulin has suffered badly with all the wind and has holes ripped through where the corners cut their way through. :(

On the stamina front....good news.
I have enlisted the help of my grandson, who only goes college 3 days a week :) So given good weather on either Friday or Monday and a little financial inducement ;) the build might move on a bit quicker.
The plan is he does all the weld prep work and lugging about, which I find energy sapping, and I'll just stick it together.

I have already cut and repositioned the cab over bed frame ready to weld up. With this done I can cut the fiberglass sheet for the bottom. I have cut extra bracing for the rear panel. I just need to replace a couple of the corner verticals with some of the 2x1 heavy section in preparation for the leg fixing points.

I have ordered oilite bushes to complement the thrust bearing for the legs, even though I haven't finalized the design yet. I am hoping some inspiration come with them :lol:
Picture and design details to follow(I hope :? )

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

March 21st, 2018, 7:49 am

The better weather might help now hopefully, are you aiming to make the legs all fixed in position or removable to stow somewhere,
They are out of danger stowed of course

wonkywheel

March 21st, 2018, 8:10 pm

Initially, I think the legs will be fixed in position.
I think they are a little over-engineered and will be strong enough for all occasions. :geek:
I might bolt them through from the inside then there is no chance of them getting pilfered.
The only removable piece will be the bottom adjustable section and foot with a lock pin. This is necessary as I intend using 500mm lead screws for the lifting section.
Hinged fold up ones would be nice and tidy but might be a little testing to achieve. :? The next time I get the chop saw out I'll cut a few test pieces and try to fit the oilite bushes, thrust bearing, leadscrew an nut together to formulate a working design :o

Camper aedificavit domum

Big Jim

March 21st, 2018, 8:14 pm

I had fixed legs on my Nortstar . They hung quite low and wide out when travelling and I was always bothered about catching one on a tree stump or high verge or something.