SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
wonkywheel

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

May 3rd, 2018, 7:40 pm

Ok, Zildjian, :oops:

I thought I had cut most of the corner angle pieces. I was wrong. Either that or I have lost them on the workbench :D now that everything has started to grow. :roll:
You can make out the engine lift in the background trying to hide itself 8-)
I need to make sure all the holes are in the checker plate along with the fitting slots before I stick it on.

There are some pieces of the checker plate that have not been cut to finished size. With the trimmings from that, and the corners cut off the angle there are bits of aluminium all over the place. Fitting the angle to the outside corners is easy as there is box section behind it to screw to. Inside corner are a different matter. There is only the checker plate thickness for the screws to bite on.

I did think I might fix some of the pieces of aluminium angle for something to screw to but finished up doing a sort of dovetail overlap to make the corners self-supporting. When the corner angle is glued and screwed in position...it will be fine :)

There was still no sign of the new Argon bottle today by the time I left work. If it had come, I intended having a demountable day on Friday instead of going to work. :shock:
Now I will have to go to work in the hope it is delivered tomorrow. Otherwise, it looks like I might lose three days welding weather :cry:

On a different topic.
With the recommendation that I remove the tailgate(which I will do :roll: ) I decided to check out just how heavy the truck is unladen.
With about a quarter of a tankful of diesel and everything else empty(loose change etc) I went to the weighbridge.

With just the front 2 wheels on ............................................1120Kgs
With just the back 2 wheels on..............................................840Kgs
All on............................................................................1960Kgs

I have no idea as to the axle load limits other than I was told it could carry a ton and a quarter :?:
I imagine the tailgate must weigh 20-30Kgs

Is there anyone that can give me the legal Max?
Last edited by wonkywheel on May 8th, 2019, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

FinAde

May 3rd, 2018, 9:42 pm

Your truck will have a VIN plate. This will show the maximum axle weights, axle 1 being the front. The gross weight of the truck and the train weight.
Tischer 230
VW Amarok

wonkywheel

May 4th, 2018, 4:18 am

Thanks, FinAde,
I hadn't thought of that. I will have a look
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

May 4th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Yes FinAde, got it on the back of the engine bulkhead

VIN DETAIL WEIGHBRIDGE leaves Me

3020 total weight ............ ......1960Kgs 1060

6020 train weight

1430 1 front............ ................1120Kgs 310

1850 2 rear............... ..............840Kgs 1010

Does that seem about right?? Just over of a Ton?

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

May 5th, 2018, 7:02 am

I'll lend you some industrial scales for a while
and you can either weigh camper (as it it is now) and subsequent bits you add it to it
or when its assembled fully,

might be useful to keep an eye on it though looking at it now I don't think it will be a problem

wonkywheel

May 5th, 2018, 7:55 am

Thanks, Zildjian.
As soon as I get all 5 pieces, (Base, Left Side, Right Side, Roof, and Nose) ready for final assembly I'll give you a call.
It only cost £5.00 at the recycling center to get the truck weighed and its only 1/2 mile away so it's not too bad but it will be nice to know what the individual pieces weigh.
When (optimism lurking 8-) ), I get a working unit I will get it all reweighed to get some idea of the axle loading and the center of gravity, as well as the camper weight.

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

May 6th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Not much progress today :D
Early doors at the King Billy
Rock music, Hog roast with my son 8-)

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

May 7th, 2018, 10:16 pm

A problem with Gas-uk means my order of Argon did not arrive for the weekend. :(
They missed the order as there were two placed on the same day. It should come Tuesday or Wednesday.
It did mean that I could concentrate my efforts on getting the checker plate and angle sorted. Although it's not stuck on yet, just about all the plate and angles are fitted in place. ;) Just a case of taking each one off, applying the 512 then replacing the nickel coated screws with stainless ones, although the torque on the electric drill/driver will have to be turned down as I had the heads of 3 already.
Once that is done I will be ready to turn it back over to continue the build. 8-)
[urlImage
Image][/url]

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

May 9th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Gas arrived yesterday after I had left work so loaded it this morning.
I am still gluing the checker plate on and fixing the angled corner pieces. :roll:
A slight change of mind with the screws. I have broken the heads off 2 more of the stainless self-tapping screws so I have decided to open the holes out to 5mm and use aluminium pop rivets instead. Initially, I will have to make sure I seal the center hole with silicone until I can source some blind rivets. :geek:

Plans in progress to weld the framework for the raised floor area under the table that will provide the storage area for the batteries and the like. My intention is to make it 300mm high. It's a bit high but it means I can use it as a forward foot/support for the camper standing on the floor while I sort the Jacks.

Move to the top of the yard as soon as all the checker plate is stuck on :D

Also ordered, what I hope is enough fiberglass sheet to complete the outer shell. ( :( 6000mm roll price increased 14% since last time)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

May 9th, 2018, 9:49 pm

I think Mark's SKarosser had a much higher raised floor, can't now remember quite why unless it was something to do with having essentially an 'insert' at its midriff in order to fit a Landrover,
anyway that would have been about 300