SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
wonkywheel

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

February 2nd, 2018, 9:57 pm

A LITTLE PICTURE UPDATE

Image :lol:

Reassembling the base section and welding together in final positions. I had intended to leave some of the internal corner angles in place and weld them in situ but some of the minor alignment problems, that I ironed out, meant it was easier to remove then weld. To keep them would have meant I would have to redrill some of the self-tapping holes in slightly different position. The ones I needed to keep for added strength, were drilled with a clearance drill, which just happened to be rivet size. :geek: They were then riveted before welding. As I said earlier, this was not completed due to running out of gas. (Exchange bottle on order)

As I have said, Aluminium cab over windows to be sprayed satin black to match the other windows. After a couple of coats, not bad but a bit windy with bits flying about. Will decide on rub down and redo when dry and hardened off.

I got a couple of sheets of 25mm Celotex insulation to cut and fit to keep the build moving forward while the gas arrives. There will be no building at the weekend as its Mandarin Buffet on Saturday 8-) and a birthday party on Sunday :roll:

There is still going to be a small amount of heat loss through the aluminium box section. I haven't decided yet whether to put a coat of aluminium super wrap all over the internal surfaces before applying the inner sheets.

I had NO insulation on the wall of my teardrop, only on the roof.
That was 1/2 inch ply walls, 2 layers of 3mm ply on the roof sandwiching loft insulation. I had no problems with condensation on the walls or ceiling and with my 13 tog quilt was toasty warm even with frost on the roof. I think the though ventilation might have helped as I know 1 person breathes out 1/2 pint of water vapour per night which will condense on a cold surface. (Often giving rot problems where it runs down to)

When I built the "Lightning" (teardrop) I worked on the principle that, as a long time tent camper, a 1/2 ply wood wall has to be warmer than a tent :?: So on that theory, the demountable, with its insulation, has to be warmer than "Lightning". Most of the time in "Lightning" was sleep time, with cooking and socializing being done outside (or in the bar)
Its true that I hope to spend more time in the demountable than I did "lightning", but the cooking could be indoors.
I have considered fitting a heating sytem, but not yet. Ill see how it goes. I have looked at a spirit burner/heater which gives off about 1.5 Kw but as I say, I'll see. Being an all-weather dog walker, I have plenty of warm clothes. Just might need to layer up :roll:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

zildjian
Site Admin

February 3rd, 2018, 2:11 pm

The amount of condensation we produce overnight always amazes me,
we always have windows open overnight though sometimes need to choose on in lea of any gale that happens to be blowing.

You may find heating is an extra to live without being an outdoor type, that said provision for drying stuff is welcome bonus

WK57ABF

February 3rd, 2018, 8:05 pm

Hi wonkywheel - following your thread with interest - we live in an aluminium framed and aluminium skinned travel trailer and condensation in the winter with the heating on can be a nightmare - the main problem areas are the insulation bridges like door and window frames where the outside cold can easily travel to the inside and cause condensation.
John

Big Jim

February 3rd, 2018, 8:13 pm

I also get some condensation on the aluminium framed back door , it is dripping wet and yet I don't notice it anywhere else .

wonkywheel

February 5th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Thanks for the input guys.

I intend to use a pvc type sheet for most of the inner surfaces.
I had considered using van type carpet over the top.
That is beginning to look like a definite now. Just on the outside walls to try to cut down the cold bridge effect.
The condensation its self will not cause any structural problems as there will be nothing to rot (well, the carpet if I fit it)

Clothes drying is something I hadn't given any consideration to. Normally sitting in front of the chiminea (washing machine drum with 3 long bolt legs) sorts out any dampness and the smoke reduces mosquitoes too :D :D
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

Big Jim

February 5th, 2018, 9:21 pm

I used this stuff on my new luton with some "camper felt/carpet" on top . It does seem very good and only 5mm thick .
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUFOX-Refle ... SwiONYMjz5

wonkywheel

February 8th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Thanks Jim,
that looks like it might fit the bill.
Still waiting for my argon to arrive so still plenty to do before I get to internal fitting

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

February 14th, 2018, 7:15 pm

Well, the gas has arrived.
Had one short session but still not finished the base section.
All I need is the weather and some more energy ;)

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

February 16th, 2018, 10:06 pm

GOT THE WEATHER and a bit more ENERGY 8-)

Such a nice day I decided to have a day off work and do what I hope is my last trial build before moving it to the other end of the garden for final assembly. :)

To do things correctly what I should have done was to catch up with all the internal fillet welds that need doing for the strength I want. In quite a few places I only have face welds stitched across joining faces. :roll:

What I did do was to put together most of what I have done :o

I was uncertain as to the actual size of the pieces needed to complete the back vertical section and the cab over nose section. This comes from not keeping the cad design drawing and sizes updated as I modified the sides and front end with stronger, larger box section. :(

I also decided to beef up the corner positions where the 4 corner jacks will fit. (I had considered 3 with one central at the back but spreading the load in that position would have been difficult)

On their own, each section is light enough to lift single handed but trying to thread the side sections under the clothesline, around the apple tree, miss the white Lilac bush AND lift to fit onto the side edges of the base proved challenging. :? The left section got away once when a gust of wind filled my sail like side section sending it crashing to the ground. On its way down it took out two of the face welded seat spars, bent a fillet welded one( at least I know they hold if I do it Right) It also had two small branches off the White lilac bush I am trying to cultivate. Just visible poking out of the blue tarpaulin.( It will now be a Lilac tree :lol: )

Left side up

Right side up.

Then the roof section put in position.
It all fits :D
In the background, up against the fence stands the bed base section. Well actually, the 2 broken halves of the bed section. Another casualty of my eagerness to get on before completing the fillet welding that I should have done.

The 4mm thick rectangular box section gives the added rigidity I was looking for :geek:
Although the sides and top are not welded together yet. There is a tendency for the build to sway from side to side threatening to resemble an Ikea flat pack camper.
Diagonals
That's what's missing.
Even after I put the door frame spars in the back vertical section there was still too much sway for my liking. When welded it might not sway BUT the forces will still be there trying to tear it apart :shock:
The rear section will now have diagonal bracing both side of the door. As I have not yet settled on whether to fit a window under the bed base to allow vision out of the back window of the truck into, and possibly al the way through, (rear door window?) the camper. With that in mind the diagonal bracing will have to miss that area.

With all the ENERGY used up "that's all folks" to coin a phrase

P.S

I couldn't resist a quick look to see what the windows will look like when they are in

P.P.S

I have been giving some thought to what it will all look like externally when completed.
To be honest I am not a fan of a big plain white lump on the back of my truck. To that end, I called in at the local Vinyl wrap shop to see what he thought. You perhaps are aware that I am a drag racing fan and he does quite a bit for race cars and dragsters. As I happens he was wrapping a funny car ready for this years season due to start soon....I hope Image The strip is being completely resurfaced with concrete, all 1320 feet of it. Should be faster when its rubbered in 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I digress.
As a ballpark figure, whatever I want £70 a square meter :o
I could have any colour or print the simpler it is the cheaper it is...........we will see
He did say make sure of what you want before its wrapped.

Just a thought....stylised free as a bird ?????????
Thoughts? Comments???

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

February 16th, 2018, 10:32 pm

Impressive, especially nice seeing it get a whole lot nearer completion
guess we'll be over there one weekend helping you move that our won't we? :)