SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
wonkywheel

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

May 1st, 2021, 7:47 pm

O well, I needed another truck :o :shock:

I just have to make the camper/truck fit together. :roll: 8-)

I think the mountain top and sports bar will have to come off. I'm not sure about the cab roof bars :?:
Then I will have to change the electrics a bit. This has the newer multi-pin socket whereas the old Ranger had 2 separate.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

wonkywheel

May 12th, 2021, 9:17 pm

It took over a week to get the mountain top and aero wing off. What with watching endless videos on how to take them off only to find mine is not the same type. Rain, wind and that's just me with not enough energy.
After noticing the manufacturers name on the key cover I searched Armadillo mountain top and found a very useful installation video. It showed just where the hidden bolts were that were holding up progress.

Finally off. It doesn't look so pretty now but its a step closer to fitting the demountable

Two of the handle type tie-downs have been taken off and will be replaced ( during top removal ) The centre rail accepts two more tie -downs. The tub and load liner are slightly different dimensions to the old Ranger allowing more space between the wheel arches but slightly higher.
A couple of trial fittings showed that with the angle that the drive sits and the higher tailgate I needed the camper about 100mm higher than before.

Spider-like and ready to get the truck under it. The gaffer taped polystyrene on the camper corner save my head quite a few times :roll:
Having initially designed the camper to fit with the tailgate in place (That was before I joined this group and found that most people take them off to save weight ) I thought I would try the fit with it on. Either my design was a bit out or the tailgate is longer but I was 50mm short :shock:

Looking good though. It allowed me to determine the positions of the turnbuckles and where I need to fit two brackets.

The truck was put back on the road and an attempt was made to unclip the reversing camera feed. No luck, I couldn't get a good enough grip with these old fingers.
I thought I would kill two birds with one stone and remove the spare wheel (which I wanted to do to check it out ) and give me more room for another go at the clip.

Next problem.
The spare wheel won't dropdown.
There is a winding handle that should let the chain down that holds the wheel in place. It came down about 50mm then stopped with the chain going slack. A closer inspection showed that a thing that looked like a small grease gun was sticking through one of the wheel bolt holes. I tried pulling, pushing, banging, swearing but it just sat there.
I phoned my son to get him to go next door to the garage and ask them how it comes off.
There was nothing like this on the old Ranger.
Half an hour later came the answer. It's a wheel lock. :D :roll: :shock: :lol:
There was no mention of this in the manual or on the tube videos that I watched. Apparently, it was a recall and fitted by Ford after some of the more light-fingered members of the human race found the aluminium spare wheels were easy pray and started to collect them to weigh in.
Funnily enough, On one of the two sets of keys I received, there were two keys I could not identify. :roll: :?: :lol:

Back under the truck with a torch I found the grease gun looking object had an end cap that when removed revealed the key hole.
The spike near the chain goes through a wheel nut hole then the barrel locks onto it. Simples :roll:

Image Image
It looks obvious when its all clean and you can see the markings 8-)

It was a job well worth doing though. All the bolt holes were caked full of dry mud as was the whole wheel. Well, it had done 140k miles on building sites so you expect it to be a bit grubby. ;)
I would have hated to be out on a cold wet night trying to sort that lot out.

Horror story alert
Back in the day, my tires were changed at the fitters where they used a preset air torque gun (supposedly)
Out with my wife and two young kids when we had a puncture. The cars little wheel brace would not undo the overtightened wheel nuts. So, a two-mile walk to the nearest garage. A £10 deposit on a borrowed 4 foot pry bar. Then a two-mile walk back carrying a hulking great lump of steel :oops:
Lesson learned. I always go around all the wheel nuts at home with my spider and retighten them with the brace. :idea: :D

Back to the camera feed.............................manyarna :lol:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

May 15th, 2021, 12:34 am

airtooled nuts... I have a long bar and socket from my earlier days. Gold.
There is a YouTuber starting a ex-army unimog camper build ... this month the fella changed tyres... with muscle power. Wow. Hernia risk zone! But he managed with the long bar which you can see bending. Took 2 days, 4 huge tyres.

zildjian
Site Admin

May 16th, 2021, 8:02 am

First time I've seen the spare 'locked', good idea actually.

I wanted to fit an air tank inside rearmost panel but the large spare tyre fouls it so I'm having a rethink on it just at the moment,
wasn't able to wind up spare wheel on an angle against tank as that then pushes tyre against exhaust so that's out too!

wonkywheel

May 18th, 2021, 8:01 pm

Zildjian,
I have taken the tailgate off ready to fit the camper. To get to the reversing camera connection I too the spare wheel off to make more elbow room. I was surprised just how heavy the spare is, probably twice the weight of the tailgate. I am tempted not to put it back as I got to thinking, in the last 10 years, how many times have I needed a spare out on the road. None. I might nip down the weighbridge tomorrow to see where I am starting from.

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

May 19th, 2021, 6:59 pm

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 18.58.16.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 18.58.16.png (94.33 KiB) Viewed 2534 times

PITA when you have that puncture though

wonkywheel

May 19th, 2021, 8:53 pm

A couple of cans of Holts Puncture Tyreweld are a lot lighter :lol:

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

May 20th, 2021, 9:35 pm

Well, it goes on/in!

Not without problems though. The tub on the wildtrack seems to be slightly taller than that of Thunder so I had to knock up a 50mm frame for the demountable to sit on. Also in mounting my gas pipes out of the cabin they are now in the way and another 50mm packer was put in front of the demountable to stop them from hitting the lights. That will be temporary as I will re rout them nearer the outside edge later.
I haven't put bolt down holes in the bed as yet and am trying the built-in tie-down points first. The forward ones tied in nicely with the clamp access holes inside the camper but the rear ones are too far forward to be of use unless I fit extra fixing points outside. I was able to use a large ratchet strap at the rear onto the towing bar bracket. On the front I used turnbuckles. They were awkward to get at to tighten.
That was evident after a test run on a bumpy bit of potholed road (easy to find) where the camper tried to twist at the front. The turnbuckles were not holding the front packer in place also on two occasions I stopped to check and found them loose.
There were no locknuts on them and they seemed to be able to unscrew themselves.
Back to base to fit locknuts and try to get a spanner in to pull them up good. We shall see next time out.

On the way back I called into the recycling centre to use the weigh-bridge. Entering the one-way system at the recycling centre it is difficult to see if it is crowded or not as it is virtually a 180 deg turn. So my first time pass the entrance there were queing vehicles so I had given it a miss. The return back to base gave me a second look, as I was approaching from the opposite direction.
All clear, the road was free of traffic as well so I did a right turn into the centre even though there is a no right turn sign. This was put up after queues caused traffic buildups with vehicles waiting to turn right.
I pulled in, walked over to one of the staff and asked if the coned off weighbridge was in use. He said "You did a right turn, you could have caused an accident" The cctv cameras picked me up and they phoned for him to reprimand me for my misdemeanour. :oops:

Anyway on the weighbridge, first the front two, then all in, then just the rears.

Front...............1160kg against a Vin plate Max of..........1480kg 320kg spare

All on...............2980kg " " " " "............3200kg 220kg spare

Rear.................1840kg " " " " "............1850kg 10kg spare :o :shock: :o :shock: :? :roll: :roll: :roll:

I had loaded all my socializing camping gear in the toilet/shower room right at the back. It will only ever be a cupboard with a toilet in it but it shows how bad loading can effect driving conditions.

The pro's and con's

The truck had a full tank of diesel, full water tank, although it is on a small one, and all the things for a trip out.

The tailgate was off I would estimate 40kg, and the spare wheel must be at least 60kg if not more.

Normal loading would see most of 60-80 kg of event shelter seat etc either on the bed or on the back seats of the cab increasing the front end loading and reducing the rear to a more acceptable value. I wonder what the bending moment calculation on moving the demountable 50mm forward would be?

If I have time I will reweigh when the demountable is off.

It was going to be its first trip out tomorrow to Santapod but by the look of the weather forecast that will wait until Saturday. :cry:

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

May 22nd, 2021, 10:50 pm

A quick update

It stayed where I put it and even the gale-force wind and near-horizontal rain failed to move it.

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

May 23rd, 2021, 8:13 am

Front fixing;
Contrive two ratchet strap buckles to fit on front leg fixing points (pictures to follow)
pass cargo strap from one side to other via eye on underside of camper and through eye's in front corners of load bed
Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 08.07.47.png

turnbuckles proved too fiddly for me too and always always came loose regardless road surface, with mine I can pull up the tension at any time from beside camper