SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
saDgit

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

June 8th, 2021, 10:25 am

We're onto our second Eagle cover now. Over time the catches (only aluminium) that lock down the rear end of the cover got increasingly worn, then started to crack, and eventually lost chunks and failed to work - that was over about seven or eight years though and with frequent use. I still reckon they're a good buy - in both quality and value.

We tried leaving it in place, rolled up, with the pop-top but found on a long trip (2500 mls round trip) that there was enough movement to cause slight surface damage to the camper. Those hard rubber 'buffer' blocks are about 6cms thick but that wasn't enough to prevent it. That was why I fixed this ali plate to the front ...

I remove the whole cover, including the side rails, when we carry the Rhino - partly to prevent that damage but mostly to make sure the camper can go as far forward, and as low down as possible.
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

wonkywheel

June 8th, 2021, 8:37 pm

Thanks, Martin,
I might need rubber buffers as I have a 50mm thick piece of wood both under and at the front end. The tub height is just too much higher on the Wildtrack compared to the Thunder. I was going to put some 50mm square "Ali" box rails for the camper to sit on but I only had 3mm thick section left and it was heavier than the wood. :roll:
I haven't put the self-adhesive rubber strip on yet so I could still take the whole tonneau off if needs be. Its only 6 x 6mm Allen screws.
I'll see how it goes.
I have put two extra hangers for the turnbuckle to the rear so if I get a chance tomorrow I might do a test run and see how it all performs.

I take it the windows in the base section of the camper are for access to tie downs?
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

saDgit

June 9th, 2021, 1:21 pm

wonkywheel wrote:
June 8th, 2021, 8:37 pm
I take it the windows in the base section of the camper are for access to tie downs?
Yep, it was always a struggle getting at them though!
Martin

Previous demountables: Island Plastics 'Suntrekker' on P100, S.Karosser 'EC8L' on Ranger supercab, self-built pop-top on Ranger double cab
Current demountables: Rhino 'Safari' hardside on Ranger double cab

wonkywheel

June 10th, 2021, 4:42 pm

Seemed like a good idea :roll:

I put a bracket with an eye bolt sticking out the side for easy access. :roll:
It would have been ok if I dropped the camper in the tub but it wouldn't fit through the tailgate.

The access hole is still good though :lol: . After modifying the bracket we are ready for a trial rock & roll. :o

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

June 13th, 2021, 7:25 am

The rear seat there accessed via hatch on either side aren't too bad to get at, it was always the fronts as you can't see therm
I think other manufacturer's made a better job of it by having all the stuff you need to hand outside on front bulkhead

where it should be really

wonkywheel

June 13th, 2021, 6:31 pm

The front turn buckles are a bit awkward to tighten up particularly when one has a LH threaded eye end and the other a RH threaded eye so I have to put them on differently to be able to do the lock nut up.

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

June 27th, 2021, 8:17 pm

Back from the second weekend trip to Santapod.

I have decided the Eagle tonneau needs to be removed before fitting the camper. The extra 25mm thickness of the frame just means I need more height to get it in and out. Particularly with the uneven ground, I am preparing for block pavers.

When the gas feed has been moved and I can pull the camper another 25mm forward there will not be enough room for the rolled up tonneau without damaging it.

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

June 27th, 2021, 9:23 pm

hmm, got any ideas on how to leave tonneau in place (somewhere) along with loaded camper?

wonkywheel

June 28th, 2021, 9:26 pm

I think if the tub on the wildtrack was not so high I could get away with the tonneau in place by lifting it vertically over the cab rear window then in effect folding back down again. Instead of a many-layered roll there would be just two or three layers. (No thicker than the end of the tub)
I am still standing the camper on 50mm wooden battens at the minute to make sure the sides clear.
I am unhappy to try fitting the camper without them until I get the drive block paved and flat. At the minute, because of the uneven surface, I need to be able to see out the back window to see how things are progressing.

I am hoping to eventually be able to leave tonneau in position with just perhaps 25mm Ali box strips fixed to the bottom of the camper.

I have made one other improvement and will post pictures soon.
On the old thunder truck, I had an aftermarket reversing camera fitted. I had another camera on the back of the demountable which I could plug in when mounted.
The wiring was a bit, well, Heath Robinson. :shock:
I was unhappy with not being able to see behind so this time I have gone for a twin camera wireless set up. The screen lays relatively flat on the dashboard when not used and stands vertical when plugged in the power socket. 8-) At the minute power to the cameras (One at roof level looking down while the other looks straight back) comes from the campers onboard battery and has to be switched on before setting off. Also, I need to remember to turn them off when not in use as they both have infrared night lights that come on at dusk. At about £90 it was not a high-end setup as I do have to switch screen feeds for alternate cameras (no split-screen)
Not fully plumbed in yet but it works well. I was worried my aluminium space frame might act as a Faraday cage and block the signal but all seems good.

After the 3-day weekend trip to Santapod, I did have to retighten all 4 turnbuckles. I think it is solid now but will recheck after more bouncy side road work.

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

October 9th, 2021, 7:46 pm

The camper is now demounted, probably until next Easter.
Hopefully, this will allow me to complete the Chinese diesel heater installation along with a power supply rewire and diesel supply tank. Fit permanent aluminium box packers for under the camper and rubber buffers to the front between the camper and the truck tub. I might even make headway with the rear steps, and even the leg arrangements. I am still using adjustable legs and a farm jack to raise and lower and it's getting to be a bit tedious now.

On the last 4 day trip out I found the water can fell over while in transit causing a bit of a flood. I aim to ensure this doesn't happen again by fitting twin tanks to the exterior of the camper inside the tub. There seems plenty of room between the camper and the truck tub in the wheel arch area. This will also free up more space at the very back of the camper and move the weight forward nearer the front. It should make a substantial difference to the rear axle loading and improve handling.

I have just returned from 2 weeks holiday in Newquay. I went with my son, his partner, and daughter and their 3 dogs. That 2 weeks was enough to allow the cranking battery on the truck to go down. A bit ironic having 2 x 110ah leisure batteries being charged with a 325w solar panel on the camper but a flat battery on the truck. :?

Camper aedificavit domum