SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

May 18th, 2019, 7:21 am

Rechargeable's won't power camera no, I have a wildlife camera often lives outdoors for days at a time and I have to buy duracell for that too :(

wonkywheel

May 28th, 2019, 11:05 pm

Sorted a few more photo's out

The first weekend was initially a bit of a washout with only 2 hours racing each day (Friday/Saturday) but Sunday was more like it. Up on the spectator bank at 9.00am ready for a 9.30 start with my packed lunch and a few cans (only one beer 8-) ) . Then, apart from calls of nature, sat till 4.00pm when it started raining.
The next weekend was much better. A good 5day weekend even with scattered showers :lol: 8-) 8-)

I have started work on the drop down steps. Three should do it although I need more aluminium to complete them.

As it has been Santapod the last 2 weekends not a lot has been done :(
In preparation for that, I concentrated on the things I had previously found needed addressing to make life a little easier :roll:
On the first trip out I slept on the lower level single (table dropped down and the cushions moved) . It was very comfortable but a bit of a pain getting it all set up to sleep then moving again in the morning. The table legs were only tempory props.
Two new supports welded up and fixed to either be underneath out of the way when used as a table or underneath to sit on the battery box when used as a bed. A traveling leg was cut and welded with a sort of hinge to enable it to be fixed to the table and used in either table or bed positions :geek: Only to be removed when the table was stashed away behind the battery box in the vertical position

The gas was in and working well as were the two lights that were connected up. With the lights and roof fan possibly being used for 4/5 days I fixed the 40-watt solar panel to the roof and put a feed into the charge controller through the cab over bed window. Whilst working in the camper, the bright sunshine caused the charge controller to start flashing. The battery was full and the solar power being cycled to maintain 14.7 volts. With what appeared to be surplus energy I decided to try the Halfords electric chiller/fridge to see how it performed.

It fitted well into position and did take the temperature down to about 8C before I turned it off although it was still dragging the battery down. The voltmeter showed 11.4 volts with it running and I was afraid the charge controller safety cutout might switch off the load :shock:

Shelves fitted for some storage on both sides

More tomorrow :|
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

wonkywheel

May 29th, 2019, 10:52 am

Having got the shelves in place I started to move the fuse board from its temporary wall mounting and added the solar controller. The panel was set back so that I can fit a door at a later date should I want to.

As a tinnitus sufferer, I very often have music playing softly either from my phone or through earpieces. No Wifi and a cheap data package meant I needed another source of music so a car radio was fitted. It is not as successful as I hoped as the signal reception seems poor. It's only a cheap radio and the car ariel dangled out the window and I'm not sure if the aluminium box framework and insulation acts as a signal block similar to a Faraday cage. The radio, being a car radio has a reversing camera option which I might use as a door camera :roll: . It also will play music off my storage drive so I won't be stuck for noise. 8-)

Not being sure of the exact configuration I only taped the panel front on until a decision is made.
With an unfinished wardrobe and only shelving for storage, I used plastic boxes to hold everything securing them behind a rail which doubled up as a clothes rail :lol: The box system seemed to have distinct advantages when searching for things. I am considering attempting a permanent box system long term.

Not very tidy but that's after a wash, coffee, just before I did the housework :lol: :lol:
The chiller/coolbox was only really used as a storage box. The Coleman cool box with 4 bags of ice just about lasted 4 days keeping food and beer nice. It had the unintentional benefit of fitting nicely on top of the battery box enabling me to "Put my feet up" .I might make a padded cover for it, to increase insulation and make it more comfortable.
It's not in view as it had been dragged to the door to empty some of the meltwater.

I might get a little more done this week although I need to catch up with the gardening as I'm away to the south coast with my daughter caravanning next week. Busy old life isn't it 8-) :lol: 8-)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

May 29th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Need to tidy up (a lot) :)

must be good using it all the same,

Martin mentioned during his build the door security issue though your's as a video sounds quite exciting and if your radio allows that for nothing so much the better

zildjian
Site Admin

May 29th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Meant to mention actually, i've just remade the SKarosser table after a couple of years without it, you should be able to make a folding leg which has enough room beneath table to fold horizontal as bed-base and clear battery box,
also if you are mounting table in a slide on bulkhead, if you offset the table leg
it means you can slide table across to N/s and its handy as extra food prep area (then slide table to middle again to eat off)

wonkywheel

June 3rd, 2019, 3:13 am

After a great long weekend at Santapod, Problems, Problems, Problems :cry:

On the way home I noticed that the indicator alarm stopped working, meaning I had an indicator out. :?
Once parked up it took me a day or two to unpack and get around to looking for the fault. :roll: I traced the problem to the right-hand indicators. Working on the truck but not on the camper. An initial inspection didn't show anything toward so further investigation was required. The wiring was a bit of a birds nest so I decided to tidy it up and lay it out neatly ;)
With the truck running, and the right-hand indicator working on the truck still no luck on the camper :?: Then I noticed that the wiring to the duff indicator was getting warm :shock: Panic set in as I turned the indicator and truck off with a very strong smell of tuffnel (burning insulation type) inside the truck. No signs of a problem other than the tell-tale smell.

I demounted the camper, disconnected the trailer sockets, put my large CO2 fire extinguisher to hand and tried the truck. :) No problem? The smell was still lingering so I took the truck for a spin with all the windows open( with the extinguisher on board) It took a day or two for the smell to totally disappear but all seems fine.

I am off for a weeks holiday tomorrow with my daughter so I have arranged for the truck to go into the auto electrician to be professionally checked out while I am away.

The sniffles that I brought home from Santapod seem to have developed into full-blown Man Flu :roll: hence a post at 3.10 am after recovering from a coughing fit with a cup of tea.
More next week after a week of wind and rain on the south coast by the look of it :cry:

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

June 3rd, 2019, 12:05 pm

Electrical, my very favourite problems
Well, hope your man finds it easily at least.

Are we expecting some rain then?

wonkywheel

June 4th, 2019, 1:42 am

I'm always expecting rain. A bit like Linus, it seems as if a cloud follows me about. :lol:

Camper aedificavit domum

mjb666

June 5th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Hi Mark

Love the Linus reference by the way.

I hope your break with your Daughter will help you get over the 'Man Flu', we need you back in the yard on the build.

The most pleasing thing to me as a casual watcher to this thread is that you are now out and about living the Demountable dream in all it's not quite finished way. It's Brilliant.

Looking forward to meeting you and have a good look at the camper.

Mike
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

wonkywheel

June 8th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Well Mike, being in a usable condition has its good and bad side.

In use its gives much more forsite into what is needed and how you should have done it :roll:
On the first trip out I slept on the flattened out seat cusions as the double bed boards were harder than I remembered. Possibly old bones more the problem. The problem balancing the incomplete legs prompted me to finish those.
This trip I slept in the double 8-). A mate who arrived with his chemnea and loads of wood in his van also had enough bubble wrap to make a very comfortable mattress. Its true it gradually went down over the few days we were there but I think the alcohol provided a good cushion as I slept like a top ;)
One problem came to light :idea: It was too lite! The main windows and roof vent have shutter blinds but the sliders at either end of the bed and above the sink have none. This time of the year when the sun comes up between 4-5am it's a bit bright. So temporary blinds were fitted during the evenings. (tee shirts, plastic bags :roll: )

The downside is the thought that I'll do that a bit later (in the winter :lol: ) I rearly need to get more aluminium box section, more PVC sheeting, and more Celotex to continue. I did get the gas :lol:

I am having to wait for the auto-electrician to give it the once over as he seems to have man flu too.

The holiday turned out to be a bit of a disaster. I manage to pass on my man flu to my daughter who felt so ill we came home on Thursday morning. Not much improvement yet either for her.

Camper aedificavit domum