SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
wonkywheel

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

August 6th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Mike,
Funny you should say any comments:-
The rear deck or landing is something I have contemplated about. The trouble is that you can't get in without it down and I can foresee circumstances where there is not enough room to put it down. I will consider it if I can come up with a lightweight one with a door access. :geek:

With an awning, somewhere to sit, store muddy boots. Perhaps even a little fence to keep the dog in 8-)

More on my build when the photos have downloaded.

Mark
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

wonkywheel

August 6th, 2018, 9:51 pm

First, a bit more on adhesives.
While I was in Screwfix I saw the pinkgrip. As I have said not very good. I tried a similar test with the Sikaflex 512, no comparison, stuck fast. The initial grab with the pink was better but it eventually fell off :D

I have already cut the hole for the fan powered vent above the table area.( framework designed ready to take :geek: ) Two reasons really, One to allow it to cool down better but mainly to be able to use the hatch to reach to fix the aluminium sealing strips where to 2 pieces of roof join. The vent is a little bit the worse for wear as it was second hand when it went into lightning. A replacement later, possibly. Looking at the picture and thinking about Zildjian's large skylight If I went down that route I think I would need to beef up the framing.

As I intend to just screw and not glue the inner skin initially it is always a possibility. I want to leave access to the framework for potential alterations, modifications after a few shakedown outings to see how it fits together. :lol:

When it was too hot outside I put a fan inside and started fitting the insulation under the seating area. The piece nearest the wall has insulation glued in while the remainder is a storage box and access to the turnbuckle.

The floor of the cabover bed has been screwed in place as has the angle for the cabin end and the checker plate. I was able to work in the shade under there at any time of the day but it was still very testing to try to hold it in the correct position to get the first screws in. A bit like trying to hold a bag of snakes above your head. With the help of 2 clothed line props, 2 lengths of box section clamped on it to help stability and a lot of expletives it went into position. Just under 40 screws should ensure the sheet stays in contact with the framework whilst gluing.

The left side and main roof sheets are ready to be glued in position as all the fixiing hole are in them ready to hold in place but I will proably wait and do them all at the same time :?:

My caravan steps that saved the day when the wind tried to move the camper for me. It is still standing on them now and I believe I just need another foot in height and it will be the right height for the truck bed.

I just need to trim to size the nose end sheets, then refit the aluminium edging. I still think I might have to anneal it to get it to lay flat. Its got a lumpy curve where I flattened th angle out to about 120 degrees

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

August 7th, 2018, 6:33 pm

We are all enjoying this build Mark very much
personally I only wish I'd thought to lend you a go-pro and set it up on time-lapse!

on the Heki thread, fitting a skylight actually big enough to get your head & shoulder through instantly gives you access to roof in a H&S approved manner which I'm sure you'd agree is a good thing for those little roof jobs sure to some along in the future
(also) while it occurs to me, is there to be something metalic on the roof for magnetic aerial base to clamp on to?

There's a re-build thread coming up shortly with pictures too which I think you'll like :)

wonkywheel

August 7th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Zildjian,
thanks for the interest. I'm probably more interested than you to see how it turns out :lol: . On the time lapse idea, I don't think they do sd cards big enough :? because it feels like it's been up and down more times than a ...................! :shock:
I have been able to get head and shoulders out of the vent if you go at like Houdini :roll: when the cover is removed.
I'm sure at some stage I will incorporate a metal plate in one of the roof sections because back in the day I used to be on the CB (Breaker breaker 1-9 for a copy, you've got Time Bandit here, static mobile, whats your 20? :lol: :lol: ). I still have a couple of rigs and I might find room for one and need something to stick my mag-mount and thunderpole on. There might still be a few on breakers out there and it might be useful for a 10-13.
I'm not sure if aluminium makes a good ground plane :?:

I look forward to the rebuild thread.

Camper aedificavit domum

mjb666

August 7th, 2018, 9:16 pm

zildjian wrote:
There's a re-build thread coming up shortly with pictures too which I think you'll like :)
I really don't think Mark needs to be following a re-build thread, he hasn't finished building it first time round yet!
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

August 7th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 21.26.34.png
See, knew he would be :)

mjb666

August 7th, 2018, 9:32 pm

He was posting that reply as i was doing mine so that's not fair!
Unknown Demountable

wonkywheel

August 7th, 2018, 9:34 pm

Guys,
Its been rebuilt 4 times already :roll:

Camper aedificavit domum

mjb666

August 7th, 2018, 9:38 pm

I know that but you knew what i meant & NO CB chat allowed on here, me talking about Morris Dancing got shot down fast so no mention of groundplanes etc please!
Unknown Demountable

wonkywheel

August 7th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Sorry :oops:

Camper aedificavit domum