SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
wonkywheel

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

March 16th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Just a little update, hopefully, more to follow shortly if the good weather continues.

Half a dozen 8x4 sheets of PVC arrived 8-30 this morning.

Image I spent the rest of the morning cutting some of it up into the required sections.
I will do some more tomorrow, all being well so that I have cut pieces in the camper to fit for when it is too cold or wet outside.
With the current situation with the Covid-19 pandemic, it's looking like I won't be going anywhere this year. It's annoying because I have spent over £250 on event tickets and camping fee's. It's possible I might be able to exchange the Santapod ticket for next years but I will have to see how it goes.
I am already confined to barracks so in theory, I should be able to get more done on the camper. Perhaps even finish it, nah that will never happen.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

wonkywheel

March 18th, 2020, 5:01 pm

With time on my hands and some PVC rough cut ready to fit I spent the morning Cutting and fitting.

Image First piece standing in position

I cut and trimmed the PVC and the internal two piece window frame.
Then fitted the panel end

I just need to final fix and fit some angle pieces to finish off. As yet I am undecided whether to cover with van carpet, vinyl wrap or leave well alone.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

March 19th, 2020, 3:10 pm

More today.
Bed entrance side panels :D I might get around to acually gluing together the speaker enclosures
Image Image Image Image

None are screwed into position permanently yet as the screw positions are dependant on the spars and fitting either aluminium or plastic angle to tidy it up.

The shower/toilet was next.
Trial fitting of the sheets with their blue protective coats on. The lift-out floor section are visible at the bottom. There are two boxes under the floor. One could be for waste grey shower water storage while the other could be home for a Chinese diesel heater.

The panels in position. The wiring to go in trunking rather than behind the panel so as to remain accessible.
Final fixing again to wait in case modifications are required to fit a shower tray (which I haven't got yet)

The initial intention was to fit the old fan-powered Omnivent from my teardrop trailer above the cooker but, with the thought of adding a window to the top of the rear door, I decided to do away with that. Although the box section framework is made to accommodate the vent with this now filled in it will allow more roof space to fit a larger solar panel.

When the gorilla glue has done its thing, tomorrow could be the ceiling sheets as long as it stops raining long enough to cut the sheets to size.

Working in the camper with it raining outside is a little cramped

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

March 21st, 2020, 5:37 pm

More progress on the shower room.
With the wall covering in place held by a couple of temporary screws the ceiling panel was cut and fitted.

When all the panels are fixed permanently the corners will be sealed with white silicone sealant to make it waterproof.

The last roof panel was cut and part fitted before I ran out of energy. :roll:

Working with my arms above my head is always challenging as I very quickly get out of breath. :cry:
Still, I was well pleased with the progress and I still have 2 sheets of PVC to try to finish off all the cladding.(I might just have enough) :lol:
With next week being pension week I will be purchasing some aluminium box and angle to face off the top boxes to make them look like cupboards (well that's the plan)
More energy tomorrow I hope to match the mild weather.

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

March 25th, 2020, 10:14 pm

More cutting and fitting.

A bit overenthusiastic with the window cutting. :(
You can just make out the cover piece to hide the TOO LARGE window cut out, but it's all looking pretty good.

The final cabin piece put in place.

Now I need to consult the plans to confirm where the spars are to screw the sheets in place. I marked some of them on the bubble covering but not all :roll:

With things how they are at the minute, being confined to barracks, and very few suppliers able to deliver I am stuck for some components I need. So with the promise of a dry warm spell, the sudden burst of energy and enthusiasm, it could be time to bite the bullet and take the doors off, dismantle, cut down then reweld.
I have decided to do away with the internal step and shorten the doors to suit. It posed problems with the step design. I need to be able to leave the steps in place and close the door from the inside. Anyway, work and pictures to follow.
Assuming it doesn't rain :shock:

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

March 27th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Yesterday was a good day. Nice warning sunshine and cooling breeze, perfect door modifying weather, :lol:

I took the old doors out and took them apart. The inside step has got to go. On the plus side, it will give me a storage box that goes right across the back.
Image Putting a step inside seemed like a good idea in the design stage but in use, it was the wrong height step, too short a tread and hampered attempts to fit steps.
A 2x1 piece of box was ideal but it will need a ✖ member as the wood bows when it has weight on it.

The two existing doors had to be reduced in both length and height. Being already odd (not the same size) various amount had to be cut off to achieve the fit I wanted, even tapering one door width to take account of frame build errors. :shock: :oops: :roll:

While I had the door frame in pieces I am considering fitting a small slide opening window in the top stable door. I have found the window but I am unsure where the inner frame is. Also, the Aluminium Warehouse, where I buy my materials from is closed so unless I can find enough laying about, it will not happen.

There was quite a bit of fitting-remove-cut before I got two almost equal doors where I wanted them.
Image :P

The best door hinges I found, after trawling lots of t'internet sites. funnily enough, was from Wick just down the road. They are stainless steel, ball race fire door hinges and at less than £5.00 a pair. I thought a bargain.
They came with wood screw which are no good for me and I wanted something quite sturdy to hold the doors on. I purchase some countersunk 6 mm machine screws with matching nuts and washers. They seemed like a good idea but in theory but in practice, the hinge countersinks were not big enough to take the screw heads. Fixing the hinges in a similar way to a piano hinge, the screw heads met before the door was fully closed. I was going to go down to 5mm screws but was confined to barracks before I could make the purchase so I will work with what I have.
Luckily I have an engineering grade carbide countersink that I am able to open the hinges out.

Image ImageImage

With the wind getting up today with a bit of a nip in the air and it looks like cooler weather for a day or two I cut the Dibond sheets down to size stuck a few screws in and called it a day.
On writing this post and looking at the photo's I realised I need to stick a piece over the hole left at the bottom before it rains.

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

April 1st, 2020, 7:21 pm

Not so nice today but I was still able to make more progress.

Getting everything out then putting it back when I am finished for the day takes quite a bit of time.
Image and you need protection Image in case anyone calls :shock: :lol:

My little pillar drill was set up to deepen the countersinks in the hinges while the chop saw cut the new bevels on the reduced door frame.

A couple of bracing pieces were put in to support the window and give something for the fixing screws to bite into. The hole for the window was cut out with a small saw and sized with elbow grease and a large-toothed file.

When everything is fixed together and works according to plan I will partially strip all the sheeting off the doors, clamp them in the opening and weld it all back together AGAIN. Last time I welded the door on a flat surface only to find the door frame actually has a bit of a twist in it :shock: :oops:

It looks quite different back in the hole.

Still plenty to do though. The door catch and lock need beefing up. I want an angle cover strip on the top door, (which has the lock on it) to ensure the bottom door cannot be opened separately. It will also stop any rain getting into the gap.

I hope it stays dry tomorrow.

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

April 2nd, 2020, 1:52 pm

Well, it's dry but energy level low so only a little done.
Cut and fixed edging angle on the top door plus cut and positioned Celotex insulation.

Another day, another piece of PVC

I do not have any 20mm aluminium angel to edge the door and the Aluminium Warehouse is still shut so I could end up using gaffer tape to edge it. I have found the internal window surround so that will be good to go.
I have realized that I need to swap the hinges from the frame to the doors in order to be able to fix the covering sheet otherwise I cannot access the screw heads to fix. Doing this may alter the alignment of the doors and frame even more than the 2mm PVC sheet effected the tightness of closing. I already need to move the inner angle in by 2mm (cock-up :oops: ) for it to close properly and possibly, even more, depending on the size and type of rubber door seal I use.

I have been pondering why the door seems SO heavy then I remembered the door skin is in Dibond, (for strength and extra rigidity) as opposed to the fiberglass sheet used outside elsewhere. Also, after the age of 30, natural muscle loss is 1 % a year so from my prime :lol: I am neatly 42% down and even 3% down since starting this build :roll: :lol: :lol: .

Boy it's taking a long time :shock:

but I love it 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

April 6th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Window is a good idea,
bet there's a few self-build's on hold just now waiting for materials,

if people have the time and their project in back yard then at least you are occupied
doing this and that to them :)

wonkywheel

April 8th, 2020, 7:10 pm

Zildan, I don't think I know what I would do without it.
2 to 4 hours a day outside while the weather is fine is great. Actually, it was too hot this afternoon and I had to retire to the inside where I still have loads of PVC to fix to the walls and ceiling.
I too am stick of some supplies. The Aluminium Warehouse is still closed and I have run out of angle for edging

Ps. I did wonder if you should rename the post to
The never-ending SKarosser Copy Scatch Home Build 8-)
Last edited by wonkywheel on April 8th, 2020, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camper aedificavit domum