SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
wonkywheel

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

August 27th, 2018, 7:15 am

Early start ready to take the dog. The dog went back to sleep on the settee so I finished No 3 :)
and 4 just no 1 to fit new back panel with a zip :geek:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

wonkywheel

August 31st, 2018, 9:13 pm

A couple of thumbnails to substantiate my new found sewing skills :lol:
The unpicking tool was used most :roll: . I even managed to sew the top to the bottom diagonally :oops: :cry:

Image Binding double sided sticky tape and a zip 8-) Image :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:

Once they were all sorted they don't look bad for a bloke :lol:
Bearing in mind they have No wadding yet for that soft touch ;) or any upholsterers silk( slippy sheet to help it all go together and protect the foam from any water ingress). With a Draylon material and the silk, I should be able to sit on them in the rain :o :lol:

( Just don't go near the FIRE :oops: :oops: )

P.s. I still haven't found any silk to purchase other than in 100meter rolls so anyone out there??????????????????

The wadding or even a steam iron might improve then even more :o

Please note the marble effect table top in its REST position ;)

The bedroom is moving on at quite a pace :lol: :roll:
Insulation under the bed and on the walls. ( NS on them means they are NOT STUCK yet)
A slight repair was needed. :oops:
The fiberglass under bed sheet was not in contact with the spars in one area so I got out the farm jack and pushed it up to reglue it.
Push it up :shock: I lifted the whole nose of the camper off the ground :? fractured two of the welds in the process :evil:
That repaired. Plywood base sheets overlayed ;)
I am going to put some of the insulation sheets over all of the area ( BIG Jim ;) ) When I get some.
Also, when I can source some hardboard big enough to cover the ceiling. (unable to get an 8ft x 4ft sheet YET) I will be ready to carpet walls and ceiling with oatmeal carpet :oops: (Starting to feel quite arty :lol: :lol: )

Bribed my grandson to come over and help. (£££)
He managed to take all the edge angle off and remove the protective film off the whole camper apart from the 2 back sheets which I was prepping and gluing in position. Then he replaced the angle.
I now have a pristine white camper crying out for decals and color 8-)
Good job Jared, Thanks.

My attention then turned to THE DOOR

That bloody door.
I realigned the framing spars.(big hammer and drift) Rewelded the cracked joints :oops: :geek:

I Gave up then

I have resigned myself to the fact that I will be camping next week in a tent :( again, but if I can get the camper bolted onto the truck I might take it to Santa pod as a sort of storage shed)

Some toerag removed my Tonneau so I need somewhere to keep the kitchen sink and all the other things you need when camping :?:

I'm sorry if this post appears a bit disjointed but I'm just back from the gin bar :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saffron Gin :roll:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

mjb666

August 31st, 2018, 9:30 pm

More power to your elbow Mark

That made for an excellent read & has certainly lifted my friday evening after a long week at work.

No end to your skills, keep it up.
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

wonkywheel

August 31st, 2018, 10:01 pm

Damson Gin tomorrow if the neighbors out :lol:

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

September 1st, 2018, 9:18 pm

Yes, I did pick 5 Kg of Damsons ready to have a go at some Damson Jam, Gin, Chutney,??? but I found time to do a bit more.
I finished gluing the back panels on(just the top edges which were screwed into position to glue the rest of the sheet) So now I have a white shiny cabin with NO DOOR :cry: and it looks like rain tonight :( :(

At the minute all the sheets are glued in place but, all the angle ali is only screwed in place with no sealing mastic under it. This became obvious when my grandson was removing it. Particularly on the nose section. When he took the screws out the aluminium box was full of water and sprayed him :lol: As the rainwater runs down the nose it can enter under the angle and without all the screws being in place get into the box section or sit in the supporting heavy angle. (Well that's my best guess :roll: )
Bottom left you can just see the empty window cartons that have been removed from the barn for recycling :? The cartons were taking up a lot of space and only contained the window bind cassettes. Although It's not really time to put them in at least they are out of the way

The top section is a fly screen and the bottom, blind, standard sort of thing. I think I will still have curtains to make it less rudimentary when I get onto the inside :shock: :roll:
I think they look quite good 8-) . The blue ribbon is just there to make removing the cover trim to get to the fixing screws, not a fashion statement ;)

Upon reviewing the post :geek:
I said all the sheets were glued in place. That is not correct. The 2 "L section pieces at the bottom rear below the ali trim line they are only held in with screws at the minute. I will be looking to put storage locker doors as well as the services inlet/outlets. There will either need to be added bracing to support them or I might back the fiberglass sheet with a piece of 3/4 ply to be able to have something for the fixing screws to go in. I think probably the gas outlet nearest the top with the 16amp inlet socket below it on the left-hand side with water in/out on the right -hand side. That way the water and mains electricity are not on top of each other and the water services are below the shower/ toilet room (cupboard :lol: )

Having never been to a camper hook up I do not know which side the services are generally placed :oops: Ok , I know it depends on whether your nose in or back in but there must be a normal average??? anybody :roll:

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

September 4th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Doors seem to be like buses :)

You wait for ages for one :D

Then 2 come along together :lol:

Its true they are only the outer skins, no handles or locks, and don't fit as well as they are going to have to but...............

DOORS 8-)

I have said that I had given up on the dream that I would be using it this weekend at Santapod. With that in mind and the fact I no longer have a tonneau :evil: I needed 3 or 4 more sheets of insulation board so as a cover for the tub I made a mountaintop out of 1 sheet of insulation and 2 rolls of gaffer tape :shock: :roll:
It certainly won't stop a determined (or even casual) thief but it will keep the contents dry and out of sight of prying eyes, stop things flying out the back and It will also help the efficiency of the cool box in the tub ;)

With a roughly watertight box now that's it until next week now. Tomorrow will be shopping and packing up ready for the off on Thursday. With the Finals meeting being so popular the camping area is always cramped unless you get there early. With the prospect of rain, the site is even more important as a quick downpour can leave areas under water.

Looking forward to a chill-out long weekend with good company, beer and Drag Racing. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

September 13th, 2018, 10:16 pm

The tented Santa Pod meeting was most enjoyable but I had forgotten :shock: how much condensation you get on the walls of a tent :shock:
That reminds me, I must take the event shelter out of its bag to dry properly before it stains with the dreaded mildew. That's the trouble packing away on the last day before racing starts at 9-30

The doors still need a lot of work to get them functioning correctly but as I intend to fit windows in both there will need to be bracing in place to support them so I will wait until I have decided the positions. I did go ahead and fit the door lock so at least it has a small deterrent against would-be intruders.

With the days getting shorter it will soon be time to get some lights inside so that I can continue to work in the evenings( :roll: fat chance) No doubt it will be getting colder too so I fitted the mains power in box to the shell so that I can have mains lighting and a heater should the need arise. Its true I still need to fit and wire up the consumer unit and a couple of sockets but Rome and demountables were not built in a day, :lol: mine certainly :lol:

While I was into cutting holes in the panels I thought I would put the LPG out socket in as well. In an effort to be neat and tidy I put it a bit close. It had to miss one of the spars. I could have done with about 10 mm higher. There might be a modification pending :cry:

Next, I turned my attention to drilling holes for the lighting array :oops: It was only after I had positioned them, drilled the holes for fixing screws and wiring that I noted they are not "E" marked. That means technically I believe they are not actually legal as main rear lights :shock: It is true they were always going to be temporary as I have my heart set on a set of "Hamburger" style light when funds are available.
I am, as yet, undecided as to where to put the number plate. Dead center would place it on the door with all the problems of wiring plus window and steps. So it will more than likely go to the left side :?:
That's all for now folks :lol:

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

September 15th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Inch by inch, brick by brick the camper moves slowly forward and upwards into a position that will allow me to ensure the legs fit and have enough movement.
I want to be able to fit the legs soon :? so I will need to make them :lol: I have the winding head design sorted, I think, although like most other things UNFINISHED :roll: The actual legs and their fitting is still undecided. I think I know but until I can stand everything in place I don't want to cut the aluminium. I have already changed my original design (which I thought was over-engineered) and opted for a smaller section box and tube.

To be able to do that I need the truck up against the camper to check width and height

The skip find from my old workplace is coming into use. 8-) The height is almost the same as the truck bed and the large castors will allow me to push it about. My plan is to try to get it equal about the linear centerline. :geek: This should leave me with an overhang at the front to which I can offer the truck up against :roll:
The process of jacking it up (with my farm jack) fitting wooden blocks, con blocks, engineering bricks or whatever came to hand, took quite a while.

Eventually, I was at a height that I am happy with for the time being. I had to raise the front, then one side, then the other. Back to the front for another inch or so. I didn't want to get too much of an angle on it for fear of it sliding off the blocks. It only did this once, at the front, when the jack got away :shock: as the whole thing slewed sideways :oops: . Luckily, I always had a secondary set of back up blocks at the previous height so it didn't go very far :roll: I lost count how many times this was repeated. ;)
Getting the height was bad enough. Then I needed to move the whole thing forward :lol: With the nose end resting on the trolley I was able to jack up from the center rear :oops: :lol: just enough to allow the camper to fall forward back onto the support blocks. Move the blocks forward and repeat untill had enough

Not one for any Health and Safety or any other thread :roll:
The camper is standing on a concrete block with a couple of blue bricks on top.
Back up is axle stands standing on a concrete slab standing on a car wheel :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh and the secondary back up my caravan steps (which saved the day in the high winds)

With this setup I should be able to sort the legs

Camper aedificavit domum

mjb666

September 15th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Hi Mark
If you need a couple more pair's of hands lining things up, contact Zildjian, and i'll see if i can get a saturday to drive up, pick him up and we'll drive over to help.

Mike.
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

zildjian
Site Admin

September 15th, 2018, 8:30 pm

And with that carrier under it I can bring the weighing kit, we can stand the weighing pads on that & camper on top of them

simple