SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
wonkywheel

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

May 18th, 2023, 8:25 pm

I am very pleased with the TV aerial that you recommended. I plugged it into the TV, set it to auto tune and with the aerial standing on the roof and I had 47 channels on offer. A mix of radio TV and Freeview. Scrolled down a few to check the reception was good. Magic.

I know it looks a bit untidy in there but I have a lot going on at the minute.

The picture of the inverter shows not the neatest job but as with most of it ------ Work in progress.

1Image

I was trying to prepare things for both a long weekend at Santapod and the annual runaway outing later in June.
Both of these have had to be cancelled this year due to impending hospitalization. :(
With any luck, give me 6 weeks and I hope to be up and running again. :lol:

Everything else has had to take a back seat. :?
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

zildjian
Site Admin

May 20th, 2023, 7:00 am

Aerial;
I know, wish I'd realised they were available earlier, could have saved myself time and effort as well :)

Wonkywheels

September 28th, 2023, 11:32 pm

Thanks for the help Zildjian, as you can see i'm in at least.

Now to check back to see where I have got to.
Now that my health issues seem to be under control I hope to get back working on all the jobs that have been put off for too long.
At least the Chinese diesel heater is still working fine meaning all the inside jobs can be done regardless of the weather.
I did try the TV and aerial out the other day and couldn't get a signal at all.That's definitely one for the to do list. It could have been caused by my CB aerial blocking the signal?
Another inside job, well a maybe job. Considering taking out the 2 x 110 amp/hr batteries and replacing them with 1 off 100 amp/hr Li-po battery. It would give me a weight saving: 2 x 26 kg against 14 kg. An immediate saving of 42 Kg which would be welcome as I can get near to max back axle limit unless I load some things in the cab to spread the load.
The only downside I can see is I made the camper to be mainly rot proof, aluminium, fibreglass and PVC sheets. With the celotex insulation it would burn well. If a Li-PO battery decided to go up in flames there isn't a fire extinguisher in the world that would put it out. :o
More as it comes to me. :lol:
Wonkywheel 2.0

zildjian
Site Admin

September 29th, 2023, 4:48 pm

Email all done too now.

I had a small Lipo battery (head set) catch on fire last year while on charge here in living room,
small enough to scoop up and throw outside it took the headset for drone with it, fortunately the direction of mini-jet engine flame only dirtied paint on wall and cleaned off but looking at the many youtube clips of scooters etc bursting into flames I think I got off light.

They are always supervised and/or outside on an extension lead charging now, and I always drag those discarded scooters away from my property as they get abandoned

Wonkywheels

October 3rd, 2023, 8:49 pm

One of my mates as a radio controlled land rover. The Lipo battery for it comes with bomb proof carry bag and a recommendation to charge outdoors??

I might not have been doing much outside on the camper modifications but I did find time while being confined to barracks to make a mini-bar. It was a surplus 5 gallon can t start with.

I am able to carry it to the picknick area or more often, the spectator bank when I go drag racing. The little Marshall amp can connect to either my small radio or the Mp3 plyer with over the ear headphones connected through the filler cap. The small thermos flask is for the ice. Thee is even room for a couple of bags of crisps. :D

It just needs anchor points on the side wall to complete it.

CHEERS for now. :roll:
Wonkywheel 2.0

loriusgarrulus

October 5th, 2023, 9:04 pm

Very neat looking mini bar.
Customs and Exercise would get a surprise if they tried to dip it. 😁
Growing old disgracefully

Wonkywheels

October 6th, 2023, 9:26 am

Thanks for the comment,
Its a bit of a give away when its closed, :lol:

Wonkywheel 2.0

Wonkywheels

March 10th, 2024, 5:02 pm

Way back in June 2020 I added an angled section to the rear left side of the demountable.
I have never got around to doing the same modification to the RH side. I think it was out of sight out of mind. With the gas, electric hook ups and the awning on the left side, that was always the side I choose to cook and sit on.
The modification improved the look of the rear storage and utility boxes as I was not happy with the angular look.

I am still not completely over my health issues as although after Radiation therapy, chemotherapy, the excision of a large part of my bowel, and the fitting of a stoma bag. The follow on 6 month of adjuvant chemotherapy, which has now finished, is taking a long time to recover from.Tiredness is the biggest problem. I am not altogther sure that I will ever get back to where I would like to be as it could just be the results of old age (75+) . On the plus side they do now consider me to completely free of any signs of the original bowel cancer :D A slight caviat to that is that I am waiting for contact with the lung team that have some concerns about a small nodule that show up on the scan. :roll: Oh well, I havent come this far to give up now ;)

With a view to working on the other side of the demountable, I turned it around at parked it at the other end of the car parking area.

Originally I had a map of the British Isles stuck on the the back quarter bot that has deteriated and been removed. Again, to a larger part out of sight out of mind so that back corner has little in the way of graphics on it.
The ideal would be something like the image below wrapped around the corner but I think that will be beyond my capabilities and will have to make do with a moch up simulation of it.

This is as it is now. Followed by some of the work in progress. Fitting the support spars and trimming back the fibreglass sheet to allow the insert to be fixed.

As usual, a drop in energy levels , cold weather and rain have put a hold on further work.
Having had almost a year being unable to visit Santapod, I am determined to attend the Easter meeting with my grandson,
I will need to get my finger out as its only 3 weeks away and I have an electrical problem to sort as well as the intended outsanding work to do.

Glad to be back 8-)
Wonkywheel 2.0

Wonkywheels

March 18th, 2024, 9:24 am

Well the Santapod Easter meeting has been put back a month due to the camping ground being flooded so I have more preparation time.

Fiberglass sheet cut to size and fitted,

Aluminium angle edging fitted.

Now after sooo long I have matchig sides.
It's just a pity I didn' get enough awning rail to fit on this side too. Although with the gas and electric on the other side not rearly needed but it would have been handy whilst attempting to fit extra graphics to this side.

If my grandson decides to come with me on my next outing I will need to put the single bed up for him to sleep on. I already have feet to convert the table to the bed base but, as with alot of the demountable, it's over-engineered, a bit bulky and heavy.
I have fitted 2 support rails so the table will just sit on the to make the bed up with the cushions all laying flat across it.
It make for easy transformation and is a small weight saving.
I am very consious of the weight problem. The last trip to the weigh bridge was a bit of a shock. I was within 10Kg of the maximum weight for the back axle. It is true the demountable and all the accesories were virtually dumped on the back but I would like to get it down if possible. Loading some of the add ons in the cab as far forward as possible will improve he situation.

The next step is:
if wet, try cutting some graphics out indoors
if dry, attempt to finish and fit the aluminium entry steps.
If tired, sleep on the settee :lol:

The heavy duty caravan steps are quite heavy and are usually just set inside the back door. Also they are fixed height and I am hoping the aluminium ones will be sort of self adjusting for height.
Wonkywheel 2.0

Wonkywheels

March 18th, 2024, 8:21 pm

It was dry-ish and energy levels up enough to do a bit.

I still have the recently fitted pieces of fibreglass to clean up but that can wait until I have my mock up graphics to fit as the whole area will need to be spotless to stick the wrap on. :?

I dug out some of the pieces of the intended rear steps.

I did a rough build to see how it looks/works.
Not perfect but good progress. Still work in progress though.
I need some more nuts. bolts and washers to acually test it out properly and I need to devise a fixing method to give me easy build options yet be secure enough to stop them walking away.

There might be a change of direction next. I've just remembered I have an electrical problem to sort before I get out on the road with it.
Its a little difficult to test out the wiring without coupling the demountabe to the trucks power socket and I cant get to mount it until I've moved the Cadillac. The Cadillac has a fuel starvation problem at the minute and will only run on tickover. Any more thottle and she dies.
Just another thing on the to-do list.
Another day, :roll:
Wonkywheel 2.0