SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

June 11th, 2017, 12:38 pm

Mark, here is Bas Wit's build of a spaceframe camper in Belgium

derestrictor

June 11th, 2017, 6:51 pm

There was a blog on this build once

wonkywheel

June 11th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Zildjian,

thanks for the link and the time you took to take me on the conducted tour of your stately home-mobile. Given me plenty more things to think about. Back to the Cad system.

Mark

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

wonkywheel

July 9th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Small Update

First I will try to transfer over the pictures from photobucket that now wants me to pay for 3rd party hosting :o
I'm not sure if I can, or how to edit the previous posts with dead links??

Finished cutting off the checker plate pieces.

Dragged it up to the truck and tried the fit :roll: for the first time.

Not too bad at all :lol:
The tail gate support wires were always going to be a problem, and they were. :!:
I either have to stand back by about 100mm from the truck cabin or fit packing underneath the camper to lift it about 75mm. My first thought is to fit a packer. I might be able to incorporate some water tanks underneath. That should keep the weight forward of the back axle and as low as I can get without fitting them under the truck bed. I will reserve judgement until I have the full height on the back with the cab over on.
I could take it off completely as Zildjian advised. That would indeed be quite a weight saving but at the minute I like the idea of a virtual extended bed for more stability :?

Took it out onto the fairly level street to see haw it sits.

The bottom of the step recess sits about 650mm of the road at the minute. That was with a 75mm block under the camper. Just give me a rough idea how many steps I will need.
I am quite pleased with the way its looking although I do intend to replace the two outside rails with some stronger rectangular box when it arrives.

My first impression is that I might get away without having to fit extended wing mirrors although before I can test that on the road I need to sort the turn buckle fixings and eye bolts out as well as either get a trailer light board or fit the lights to the back.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

July 9th, 2017, 5:44 pm

Jumped forward in recent weeks hasn't it, and its good to just check the footprint so it will fit in place before going any further,
as far as pictures go
as long as you have the originals you can just re-host them (free) and drop them back in place later when you have time

wonkywheel

July 9th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Thank Zildjian.
Just trying to find the original photo's on my computer.
I know they are there it's finding them again. I can't get at them at all on Photobucket :twisted:
Have found the EDIT button Too :lol:

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

July 9th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Update

More photo's sorted.

Checker plate slowly going on! Only 3 more pieces on this side then the outer fibreglass sheet, just for the bottom section. I thought about fitting it all in one piece all over the side but its rather expensive and as it has a "A" side with a protective film on it fitting the shape on the roll is only possible if the shape goes end to end to give left and right. So there can be no overlapping form making one piece sides very wasteful :(

The internal corner angle is a bit challenging to fit as the sheets only lip onto the box section by a small amount and ther is no box to screw to.

Any bevel miss match should be hidden when the aluminium coloured fixer/sealant is added for the final build :roll:

Parts update

Had a couple of windows arrive from a old teardrop contact.
These windows a destined to go either side of the cab over bed for a little extra light and fresh air.

I will need to add extra box sections to support the window frames but that was expected. The other windows may need something similar :?:

Also dug out the back of the shed a couple of electric trailer nose jacks that I'm hoping to utilise for my front two jacks :idea:
They are far too heavy to use as is because they can lift 3500Lb each and weigh a ton but I'm hoping to use them as pattern parts.
I haven't powered them up yet but, because of their lifting capacity I expect them to be geared to run rarely slowly.

I am hoping to replace the heavy steel round tube with square aluminium box and possibly alter the gearing.

I will be trawling the forum for pictures and information on taylormade jacks that I am hoping to use as a guide :idea: :roll: :!: :lol:
So anyone with helpful information I would be very happy to hear from you ;)

Teardrop Interlude again

With the impending next Santa Pod Raceway visit only a week away and a demountable nowhere near ready, further repairs are needed to avoid having to resort to a tent :shock:

More of similar is required.

:roll: Demountable work will continue after next weekends 8-) Nostalgia Drag Racing Fix 8-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Camper aedificavit domum

Alexd

July 12th, 2017, 8:24 pm

Not only you suffering with Photobucket right now,
my own website and many many others have subjects riddled with blank images where PB have ceased hosting them

sooner they go broke the better i reckon

wonkywheel

July 12th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Yes I agree.
Such a shame when you lose so much information.
The same thing happened with the teardrop forum. Admin made the decision to close the forum? I even offered to buy it off him but all the information was deleted :evil:

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

July 30th, 2017, 8:13 pm

A little Update

Finally managed to get the next Aluminium box section home from work, where it was delivered to. It's a bit of a handfull because I ordered 5 metre lengths, which is just about the length of the truck.

I had the rectangular box 2"x1"x10swg to replace some of the 1"x1"x16swg which was not man enough for the job. Some more 3/4x 3/3x16swg angle for the edgings as the previous batch has all been cut up to fit.

I have also stuck my neck out and am going to attempt to build my own lifting jacks :shock:
With this in mind I have had 2"x2"x3/16" box delivered for the outer casing with 40mmx40mmx3mm box for the inner. This combination gives just under 1mm total clearance (0.5mm per side) for gease and free movement.

I am working on the therory that with the inner and outer at about the ame length and an actual movement of about 400mm max the play will be virtually un-noticable.

The rest of the 2x1 was all cut up ready to drill and fit.
I made modifications to the roof frame work. To allow for a small 280mmx280mm opening vent in what will be the toilet/shower room :roll: This was after seeing Richards camper and being advised it would be a good idea. Well the frame works in now so I can fit one as and when I get one
Most of the work was to cut all the spars for the top half of the camper. This should allow me to weld/glue/nail :lol: together the bottom half and the top half separatly then fix all together last. This makes it a bit more managable.

Camper aedificavit domum