SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
zildjian
Site Admin

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

May 23rd, 2021, 8:25 am

Attachments
IMG_20210523_081619.jpg

wonkywheel

May 25th, 2021, 11:27 am

I like that ratchet strap idea.
I was very pleased with the way my temporary strap held the demountable down and in place. I was just not keen on leaving the locking handle under the truck. ( which happened to be necessary due to the strap length )
Do you know if you can get straps made to specific sizes?

ps. Photography in PJ's :lol:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

wonkywheel

June 3rd, 2021, 10:21 pm

Too much going on to spend the time on the camper it deserves but a little bit now and then.
I am still changing the fixings. The short trip out to Santapod confirmed the fit and fixings worked but it did mean I had a webbing strap looping through the rear fixing access holes and around the towing hitch to keep the back down in position.
The front turnbuckle hangs down through the access hole as shown here

I have removed a piece of checker plate which I hope will enable me to do a similar thing at the back.

There is a hole in the base where the webbing strap went through,to the left of the new hole.
The vertical gas pipe just visible to the left needs to be moved nearer to one edge or the other. At the minute if the demountable fits right up to the tub end the pipe rests on the stop lamp glass.

Also, I intend to fix some of my 50mm ali box section to the bottom to do away with the loose packer I had it standing on.

I have been building a new set of back gates for access. That is what has been using most of my time, energy and funds recently. Once I get a lock fitted they are far enough to then wait so that I can spend more time finishing the demountable :lol: :lol: :roll:
I want to use it again for a 3 day weekend in 3 weeks time. Then again 2 weeks later.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

June 4th, 2021, 10:16 pm

Summer weekend trips being planned. Thats makes me envious. 8-)

wonkywheel

June 4th, 2021, 10:19 pm

With the removal of the mountain top roller shutter, it left everything in the tub a bit like lucky dip for anyone passing.
The old Ranger had a trifold tonneau cover fitted. It was a relatively cheap one that just clipped on or could be folded and clipped in the open position. Easy to put on, easy to take off. After a half an hour wait at the chemists I came out to find it had gone. :twisted:

I asked on the Ford Ranger Facebook forum if anyone knew of a company that made a similar tonneau for the Wildtrack. I had emailed a couple of 4x4 parts suppliers with no result.
One of the answers was "Eagle 4x4". I emailed them and almost immediately received a positive reply. 8-)
Ordered one for £194 which was a lot cheaper than the only other supplier that was recommended at over £700.
It came the next day with a one-hour time slot with DHL and I fitted it this evening while waiting for the shopping delivery.

The tonneau fits on two side rails that are clamped to the tub sides in 3 places. The cover end bar has two spring-loaded catches with a pull cord to release it and there are 3 removable support bars to give a slight dome effect for rainwater clearance. The Wildtrack has a locking tailgate so when all closed up everything is secure.

I am very pleased with the quality, fit and looks. I thoroughly recommend Eagle 4x4.

When the end bar release strap is pulled, the bar can then act as a spindle to roll the tonneau up with clips to retain it.
The fact that the cab end bar is fixed to the side rails means removal is a far bigger job and hopefully, I can keep this one.
There is a rather neat snap together action done on each side which looks like it should make it more or less watertight.
The roll-top that I took off used to let water in somewhere? although I didn't bother to investigate as it was coming off.

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

June 5th, 2021, 7:34 am

looks quite smart, it's something I've often wondered if I should have but never got any further, did you notice if they do any other pickup's as well?

zildjian
Site Admin

June 5th, 2021, 8:05 am

Ah,
apparently only for new Revo Hilux, not mine
Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 08.03.41.png

wonkywheel

June 5th, 2021, 4:50 pm

Zildjian,
I can't remember which model you have now but I found this on their website?
https://www.eagle4x4.com/product-catego ... 2005-2015/

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

June 5th, 2021, 9:44 pm

So they do
they do a variety I see, I've never used one myself but yours sounds to fit the bill I think.

How far forward (or against cab rear) will yours stow or is the cover itself quickly removable to load camper?

wonkywheel

June 6th, 2021, 12:31 pm

I haven't tried that yet.
I will try rolling it up and hope for the 50mm packer that I need for my camper to standoff will be enough.
I will let you know after further trials

Camper aedificavit domum