SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Postby E Cawood » October 25th, 2018, 8:37 pm

Hi just caught up with this build story again and its all of a sudden looked finished!
the weight was surprise i must say even though essentially a box like structure i imagined it would weigh more than that
so well done

will you also make the furniture fittings or buy something, there are lots of Volkswagen fit out people with cabinets off the shelf
E Cawood

Postby wonkywheel » October 25th, 2018, 10:19 pm

Thanks
It might have seemed all of a sudden to you. :o To me, it seems like forever. :lol: I have been wanting to use it all summer after cutting up Lightning.

I will be making as much of the interior as I can. I find there is something very satisfying about DIY.(It's cheap :) ) Especially when you have never done it before. I accept that it will not be as good as a professional job. that it will have faults that I know are there, that it will take longer, BUT IT'S MINE. :roll: It's better than having someone else do itand not be entirely happy with the results :cry:
As with all of it so far, the problems, the errors, the alterations, the repairs, the 19 months I have been working on it. All fall into insignificance when I step back, look at it and say to myself I built that. 8-)
The beauty about DIY is that you can change your mind. I have already changed my mind from my initial idea of the interior. Although I am working on the inside, nothing will be welded in position. Certainly not until I have been using it for a while to see if I like it. Planned alterations, Alter the gas box, (possibly for a Gas-it cylinder)
Change the position of the fridge, Change the dry food storage cupboard, I might even find room for a couple of optics(no spill) :lol:
Plus, I have to have something to do in the cold dark winter days to come :roll: :lol:
Mark
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
wonkywheel

Postby wonkywheel » November 8th, 2018, 11:16 pm

A small update

I put some fixings into the bed of the truck (pictures to follow). I used 50mm square, thick spreader washers and drilled the holes only through the truck tub.
I actually used 12mm threaded studding, M12 nylock nuts, and extension nuts. I put the nylock self-locking nuts on the end of the studding first with a spreader washer. Fed the studding up through the hole in the tub. Then I put an ordinary nut on and tightened it down. This allowed me to hacksaw the studding off to the required length. Carefully removing the ordinary nut and replace it with an extension nut. This palaver allowed me to fit them on my own. Trying to fit a nut and washer from underneath and hold the studding in position was impossible. :?
Initially, I was going to screw the eye bolts into the extension nuts and use turnbuckles to hold everything down. I found it better to use clamps, made out of aluminium box, in conjunction with more studding and nuts. This enabled me to pull down the camper onto the truck bed with a socket and extension bar. :idea:

Some of the guys I used to work with were eager to see how the build was progressing. Whilst I was working they all saw the sheets of dibond, rolls of fiberglass, and tubes of aluminium box section being delivered to work. ;)

The 25 mile round trip seemed like a good little run to see if anything fell off. So I took it down for them to see. Nothing fell off, apart from one of the clips on the elastic holding the extension wing mirrors on. :o

Upon my return, I checked the tightness of the clamps.all good. 8-)

Being happy with the fixings, and the way the truck drove at speeds up to 70mph meant when demounted, I lowered it down so that it is easier to work on finishing some of the outsides. I need to remove all the nickel plated self-tapping screws and replace them with blind rivets. Sealing and gluing the corner angle in position. (that should cure the little leaks I noted with heavy rainfall)
I want to fit running lights, marker lights and other wirings before I fit the insulation sheet inside. Another check for leaks after I drill holes and seal for the wiring.
Ideally, put some graphics of some sort on, then give it coat of polish to try to keep it clean and shinny for next year.
Then I can continue, (start :roll: ) to kit out the inside.
At least I now I'll have something that is warmer than a tent to sleep in when Drag racing starts next year :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum
wonkywheel

Postby derestrictor » November 9th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Were your colleagues impressed do you think :) they certainly should be the effort expended over last months/year.
fixing directly onto chassis might seem 'belt and braces' and i suppose mean drilling holes in chassis rails as well so might be counter productive and i think most owners find adding eye boults in load bed is more than enough
derestrictor

Postby wonkywheel » November 9th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Yes they were impressed 8-) 8-)
I even had the extremely tall graduate engineer trying out the cabover bed to see if he would fit. His name is Ry, I nicknamed him WHY because whatever I asked him to do, he always asked why and wanted to do it another way. I think the bed test was meant to be a negative reaction to poke fun but the inside width being 2000mm and WHY only being about 6ft 2 inches he fitted a treat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: so I had the last laugh.

I might even have made a few converts because they were all amazed at how much room there was inside considering it was only the back of a pickup :roll:
It's like a TARDIS was one comment 8-)

I think you misunderstood my fixings explanation. :oops: The studs and extension nuts only fit through the tub metalwork, not the chassis. It is true I fitted spreader plates to help spread the load but, as you say, I too think that is more than enough to support the camper. When in use, I will continue to monitor things to see if there is any deformation, but if there was, the first step would be to fit a support plate/bar the width of the camper base before anything so drastic as putting extra holes in the chassis. I have even considered taking the tub off completely and having fish plates welded in position for extra chassis strength. But, that will have to wait until I have had quite a bit of use out of it to see how it behaves. (that could be a winter project 2020/21 :lol: :lol: )
It might take that long to finish the inside :roll:

At the minute I am trying out the different lighting combinations that I had in "lightning". They were plenty bright enough for the compact space of a teardrop but I think I need more/better for this build. :)

Camper aedificavit domum
wonkywheel

Previous

Return to Self builders & projects please