SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects
wonkywheel

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

October 15th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Bring one over by all means but the fiberglass is only 3mm thick so ill get the glasses out and we can drink it :shock:
(You can feel the brain cells dying as you drink it :lol:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

2007 Ford Ranger "Thunder" 4x4
Camper aedificavit domum
2016 Ford Ranger "Wildtrack" 4x4

wonkywheel

October 15th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Yes, Mike,
I certainly hope I'm over half way. I think it was May or June last year when I started actually building but the research and design was 12 months too :shock:
Once I get fixing eyes, working jacks, and lights I will be able to take it out for a play ;)
I don't think it will ever be FINISHED completely. It will always be work in progress but as long as I can use it Ill be happy. 8-)
Now when I get in it I'm already thinking of changing the Gas box and fridge position and I haven't built either of them yet :lol:

A couple of the guys I go to Santa Pod with, drink white lightning or K . They are sometimes up for a "Discussion" :lol:

I look forward to seeing you and Zildjian soon. Perhaps we could have a weight in ;)

Also, my build is 2070mm wide and 2700 high standing on the truck I would like to know how that compares with a "Proper demountable"
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)

Camper aedificavit domum

mjb666

October 21st, 2018, 5:30 pm

wonkywheel wrote:Also, my build is 2070mm wide and 2700 high standing on the truck I would like to know how that compares with a "Proper demountable"
I think mine just about counts as "Proper"

2150mm Wide & 2650mm Tall mounted on the pick up.

Anyone else?

Mike
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

wonkywheel

October 22nd, 2018, 9:42 pm

Well, Mike, there are not many builders on here. I found the same problem on the teardrop forum. Most of the users frequent the facebook pages as a social contact base. In the finish, the builders slowly disappeared and it closed down. I find facebook is good for casual contact but I find it difficult to follow a build thread.
My point being, don't expect too many answers. Thanks for your input.

A slight technical problem on the building front. :shock:

I had made temporary legs for the front to stand on but left the rear corners standing on bricks :( I knew the door needed some alterations to make it fit better but over the past week or more I have been getting in and out working on the inside set up. I noticed that the door was getting more and more difficult to close :?
I have come to the conclusion that because the strengthened area intended to fit the rear legs to does not go right down to the bottom. The rear end standing on the bottom corners has distorted slightly :cry: Just enough to cause the door to stick :roll:
Solution :geek:
I will bolt a length of 50mm x 25mm across the bottom rear to strengthen and possibly pull it back into position. As a temporary measure, I now have the back standing on the 50x 25 with the pile of bricks positioned centrally.

Rome and demountable's were not built in a day :lol:

I contemplated having only 3 legs right from the start and it does seem very stable. I might consider a design mod :roll: 8-)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

October 22nd, 2018, 9:50 pm

Tripod design is reportedly (at least) a good idea though I'm not convinced myself either!
Wouldn't it be great to have a nice shed with concrete floor to work on, maybe a hoist, lots of power outlets
coffee machine
internet access
& toaster all plugged in for pop tarts :)

But no
its uneven ground by your house just like the rest of us I'm afraid

Self-build forums seem scarce almost regardless camper type, with the exception of vans for some reason,

mjb666

October 22nd, 2018, 9:56 pm

We are at the total opposite end of thing's when it comes to this project. I don't even own any form of drill, i'm 54 & only found out last week what a 'Blind rivet' is/for but am keen to learn. I purchased my De-mountable to try out the idea and if i liked it, sell it and get a modern one.......9 years later and i'm still updating it, although i'm on my second pick up.

Facebook has it's merit's but i got tired of it after a while.

Mike
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable

wonkywheel

October 23rd, 2018, 6:52 am

Mike,
as a 70-year old ex-precision engineer and toolmaker, I have always had to have a practical outlook and ability. One of the definitions of an engineer is a problem solver.
I have always had, and still have to some extent, a "How does that work" interest. If I don't know, read it up and find out :roll:
This doesn't come without its own problems or cost. If you want to try to do it right you have to have the tools. You say about a drill, I have 2 battery ones, 3 manual, 4 mains electric, for example. Over time, each was purchased with a particular job in mind. Having an "Engineers Eye" has is own problems too. Anything out of square, not parallel, or not straight jumps out at me. :shock:

With your camper, if it does what you want, why change it. There is something about a comfortable pair of old slippers 8-)

Camper aedificavit domum

wonkywheel

October 24th, 2018, 5:09 pm

The Truck and demountable went for their first run out today :D :D :D :D :D
We went for a ride to the Tip (Recycling Center) :o
Only to use the weighbridge again ;)

With a couple of nice blue heavy duty ratchet clamps ( a bargain purchase from one of the racers at Santa Pod at a fiver each) One over the roof the other all around its waist it seemed quite secure. A neighbor helped check the lights all worked. Extended wing mirrors fitted. Off we go 8-)
The queue to the weighbridge was fairly long full of vans and pickups with commercial waste. When it got to my turn, having already sorted my requirements with the bridge captain ;) and paid my fiver, I rolled 2 wheels on. Got out, thumbs up to the captain, who reciprocated when he had the printout. The guy in the truck behind waved at me :roll: I waved back, got in the truck and pulled all 4 wheels on. Got out again and repeated the hand signaling to both the captain and the guy behind :roll:
Back in, rolled forward leaving just my rear wheels on the bridge. Got out to find the guy behind right up my chuff with his 2 wheels on the bridge as well :oops: I was not very popular when I asked him to back up off the bridge, particularly as the rest of the queue had started to move as well :oops: When I had the bridge to myself again, thumbs up then pulled off to allow the guy behind on.
We both went to the captain together :?
I collected my 3 tickets, thanked the guy for being so understanding :!: and returned home eager to compare results :ugeek:

From an earlier post

With the recommendation that I remove the tailgate(which I will do :roll: ) I decided to check out just how heavy the truck is unladen.
With about a quarter of a tankful of diesel and everything else empty(loose change etc) I went to the weighbridge.

With just the front 2 wheels on ............................................1120Kgs
With just the back 2 wheels on..............................................840Kgs
All on............................................................................1960Kgs

This time, minus the tailgate but plus my lightweight camper 8-) :lol:
With just the front 2 wheels on ............................................1080Kgs
With just the back 2 wheels on..............................................1180Kgs
All on............................................................................2260Kgs

So the camper weighs in at 300Kg plus the weight of the tailgate 8-)
Although I did have the heavy duty motor mover battery in the camper up against the bulkhead and the sink/cooker combo in place so it's not much over 300 as it stands now

It's noticeable that with the extra overhang at the back the front axle is 40kg lighter

Quite pleased to say the least :| :) :D :lol: 8-)

Camper aedificavit domum

zildjian
Site Admin

October 24th, 2018, 9:34 pm

Not bad Mark, not bad!

fit out shouldn't be too bad with your eye on weight, how did you find it to drive with?

wonkywheel

October 24th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Zildjian,
it is only a 10-minute drive in built-up areas so it's difficult to find any difference other than dealing with the overhang at the back takes a little thought. I turn right and the back turns left :lol: I had already given the rear tires an extra few pounds for good measure so I didn't notice any roll and even the sleeping policemen at the tip didn't feel any different.

I am confident now that it is a viable unit and can start to complete jobs that were make do, to allow a trial run and make some inroads into fitting out the interior 8-)

Camper aedificavit domum