SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Self builds and DIY projects

Re: SKarosser Copy Scratch Home build?????

Postby wonkywheel » August 7th, 2018, 9:42 pm

I am a retired engineer :roll: and who is Morris anyway :lol:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)
wonkywheel

Postby mjb666 » August 7th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Oi, watch it Mark or i will be up there and push it off those caravan steps and then it'll be re-build number 5.
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Single Cab 4x2
Unknown Demountable
mjb666

Postby wonkywheel » August 8th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Stick it on Wednesday

The two nose corner aluminium sections had to be straightened and flattened. The initial bending had caused it to work harden I think :geek:
As I said, it needs annealing. Back in the day, about 55 years ago, I remember making an aluminium tray in metalwork at school that had just the same problems. To continue to be able to reform I was instructed to draw on the aluminium with a piece of soap. Then heat the Ali up until the soap turns black. Quench with water = soft pliable aluminium again. :ugeek:

It worked too. The Ali was so easy to bend to the shape I wanted. I wish I could remember the teacher's name to send him a thought thanks, but :?:

Having got all 4 edge pieces for the nose front I got the 512 out :shock:
Wire wooled all the spars to ensure good adhesion, washed the inside of the fiberglass sheet down, applied the wavy bead of glue and screwed the sheet down. First one. 8-)

I had initially stuck all the seams with Screwfix white gaffer tape. Sticks great, too good in fact. When I wanted to remove it, where the tape and glue did not separate or string( left a horrible goo on the surface that had to be cleaned with white spirit) :x It pulled the clear film protective coating off the fiberglass. ( a good way of lifting it ?)

Nose roof tomorrow and perhaps even the main roof. I can get to the seam between the two sections through the roof vent. It's a bit like being a tank commander up there :lol: :lol:

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" .......(Winston Churchill)
wonkywheel

Previous

Return to Self builders & projects please